This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This actually happened.

“That is NOT in dress code for chapter,” said one sorority girl to the other as she attempted to walk into their weekly chapter meeting.

The girl simply waved her hand, smirked, and replied: “Oh please, it’s chambray.”

That’s right ladies, chambray is here to stay. And it’s not only a casual piece; it can be dressed up, like our brave friend did up above. Not to be confused with denim, chambray is simply a washed out work shirt. So why not dress it up or down?

Following in line with the many unisex pieces that dominate the fall wardrobes, like utility jackets, color-blocked tees and plaid button downs, chambray has become a dominant force in women’s fashion.

Play it casual and girly like Emory junior Brooke Healey and pair it with colored denim. Not only does she pair her chambray with an awesome pair of jeans, but she also decided to wear it open with a perfectly symmetrical white vneck tee, complemented by her long pendant necklace. Killer outfit. 

A couple more ways to wear it…

Pair chambray with leather for some laid back grunge. 

Once again, because chambray is NOT denim, you can wear it with jeans. Just try to keep the chambray light if pairing it with dark denim. 

Or, wear it with a colorful and fun skirt!

Have fun styling away with this comfy, casual and versatile piece!

Her Campus at Emory University