One Item Two Ways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Have you ever purchased that amazing item that is so fashionable and cool but not wearable on a regular basis?  Or one that is so noticeable and chic that you wear it once and then can never wear it again?  These two J.Crew items are sort of like that – this beautiful brocade jacket seems like it can only be worn to formal events, and the flashy houndstooth skirt is fabulous but so colorful that it seems like it can only be worn in certain situations and not very often.  How do you justify the price for items like these if you are only going to wear it once?  Here are some helpful tips on how to do so!

Pair the items with unsuspecting pieces of a different style!  In terms of the jacket, it looks great over a formal dress, but also wear it with jeans and heels to go shopping or out to dinner, or with a button down shirt and capris for day.  

For the skirt, why not try wearing it with Converse and a jean jacket for day?  Play with the items to make them appropriate for various occasions.  The skirt can be worn with heels and a nice shirt or sweater for work with white tones, or black tones (like a sheer black blouse and blazer) for cocktails.  

Images thanks to J.Crew!  

Her Campus at Emory University