Nail Art with Jamie Shulman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Nail art is a huge trend at Emory University. Present all over campus are designs and decals prettily painted on fingernails. I took some time to interview Emory sophomore Jamie Shulman, whose nails are always noticeably awesome.

Her Campus Emory (HCE): Do you have a favorite nail color?

Jamie Shulman (JS): My favorite nail colors are shades of nude because it makes your nails look so elegant! But, if I had to pick one favorite it would be OPI Lucerne-Tainly Look Marvelous, which is dark silver with multi-colored sparkles.

HCE: What’s your favorite trend?

JS: My favorite nail trend is definitely the odd nail out. I love experimenting with new patterns and color combinations.

HCE: Where do you get your inspiration?

JS: I get a lot of inspiration from blogs that I read, such as Refinery29, where I got the multi-colored, gold, pink and burgundy idea from. It was actually Chanel’s spring fashion show nails. I also just like to look at different colors and see how they play off each other either in solid forms or in patterns and designs. Instagram is definitely my biggest source in terms of getting inspired, there are so many talented nail artists showcased that there is always something new to try.

HCE: How did you get started doing nail art?

JS: It’s a funny story, actually; I used to bite my nails when I was younger. For my Bat Mitzvah, I became motivated to grow out my nails so that I could get French manicure gels. From that moment on, I was in love with long nails. I really started experimenting the summer leading up to freshmen year of college, when nail art became a new way to express my personal creative side.

HCE: What are your must-have products to create your designs?

JS: For any nail trend, simple or complicated, it is imperative to start with clean nails and a great basecoat. I love Sally Hansen Complete Care: Extra Moisturizing 4-in-1 Treatment as a basecoat and a topcoat for when my nails feel a little brittle. Otherwise, I use Essie All in One Base before I start anything else. A topcoat is something I never skip out on. I also like to use Orly Sec’n Dry. I apply at least one layer of topcoat after creating the design, and then every three days or so I reapply a topcoat to lock in the manicure for longer. My absolute favorite tool is a small paintbrush. Instead of just buying nail polishes with built in little brushes, I have so much more flexibility with my own paintbrush. I bought mine from Michael’s. 

HCE: When do you find time between all your classes and work at Emory for nail art?

JS: Painting my nails is like a reward for me at the end of a school week. It calms me down and allows me to be creative. I used to do studio art throughout my whole life, but since coming to college I really haven’t gotten around to it as much. So, I find my artistic outlet through doing interesting things with my nails or makeup.

Her Campus at Emory University