This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Melissa Camila Alamo is a first-year student and prospective human health major. She loves orange chicken and plays the alto saxophone. Read on to learn more about her and Ngambika!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): What is Ngambika?

Melissa: It is a freshman step team with an emphasis on community service.

HCE: How does it work?

Melissa: Basically, you do it during your fall and spring semesters of freshman year. When a new freshman class comes in, they aren’t allowed to be seen stepping until December. Until then, Ngambika events are done by sophomores and a select few train the new class. After the December show, the freshmen become in charge of the entire organization.

HCE: How did you get involved?

Melissa: I remember seeing them in Best in Show and wanted to try something fun and out of my comfort zone. I was on my high school’s step team and thought it would be cool to get to do it again. I really liked the sense of community, so I decided to stick through it after the first practice.

HCE: What made you run for President?

Melissa: There was a lot in the organization that I really loved, but there was also a lot I wanted to change. It was a big part of my freshman year, so I wanted to do something to give back.

HCE: What is your role as President?

Melissa: I oversee the other exec board positions, making sure all the planning is going smoothly.

HCE: What were your favorite things about Ngambika?

Melissa: The sisterhood’s really strong and I love that we’ve gotten to meet so many people through it. There’s a big-little system, a brother-sister system, and a lot of fun events. Also, there’s a class of past Ngambika members each year, so the support system’s really great.

HCE: What are some of your future goals for Ngambika?

Melissa: We’re trying to get ourselves out there a little more. We want to try and branch out a little more to other organizations. We don’t want to be seen as just a step team, because we’re so much more than that.

HCE: How can first-year students get involved?

Melissa: We announce when the first practice is during an interest meeting. If you attend every practice up until the team is finalized, you become a part of the team. The process opens up again during the spring semester, so new people are allowed to join second semester. There is also a community service group; if you only fulfill the service requirements, you can still be a part of Ngambika, just not the step team.