This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Fall is finally here: the season of Halloween, pumpkin spice, and, most importantly, the comfiest clothes in your wardrobe! For all of you who are tired of pulling on shorts and a T-shirt every day, fall clothing is a welcomed, fashionable alternative to your usual wardrobe. This fall, take a cue from the runways and jump on the layering bandwagon. Layering your clothes is an easy, fun way to look effortlessly stylish, while simultaneously staying cozy.

This is a look that you can get pretty crazy with! Feel free to mix and match your pants, shirts, dresses, and skirts. However, be careful of wearing clashing colors or patterns! If you’re ever in doubt, stick to the classics. Now, what are the classics?

Let’s start with your basic knit sweater. This cute item should be a staple in your fall wardrobe because it’s incredibly versatile. You can pull it over a collared shirt or tank top; you can wear leggings, pants, or a skirt underneath; and you can accessorize with your favorite jewelry.

Next, we have the universal black leggings. These are great because, besides being the stretchiest, most comfortable article of clothing known to mankind, they’re also easy to wear with a wide range of looks. You can go formal with a short dress on top, or casual with a sweater or shirt. They’re also easy to pair with any kind of footwear, from boots to sandals.

Oh, and don’t forget about shoes! One of the nicest things about fall weather is that it’s finally chilly enough to pull out your favorite boots. Boots are one of those timeless classics that go well with almost anything, from jeans to leggings to skirts. If you’re feeling ambitious, go for some gorgeous thigh highs with leggings or a skirt; if you just want to be comfortable for class or a study session, fur-lined ankle boots are an adorable and toasty option.

The most important thing to keep in mind when layering this fall is to be creative! This is the time to break out those crazy cute beanies at the back of your closet or that bedazzled scarf you’ve been dying to wear. There are so many different options when it comes to this trend that the possibilities are endless. Mix textures, colors, and fabrics until you get the perfect look that expresses your individual personality!

Her Campus at Emory University