Layering Like a Pro: Winter Walk Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

As the temperature drops and the days get shorter, it is easy to spend the entire day indoors watching Netflix in your favorite sweatshirt. But just because it’s getting cold outsider doesn’t mean that you can’t still enjoy being outside! Take it from me, a New England native: a brisk winter walk is just as invigorating as a springtime stroll, as long as you are prepared to bundle up!

1.  A breathable base

When it comes to dressing for outdoor activity in the winter, the rule is LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS! A breathable base will wick away sweat as you exercise. I recommend using workout clothing as your bottom layer. A tank top will give you a nice bottom layer without the extra bulk around your arms.

GapFit Motion Heathered Racerback Tank: $34.95 from Gap 

GapFit gFast Multiprint Leggings: $45.99 from Gap

2.  Thick socks

When taking a walk through the woods, your toes are the first to get cold. Keep your feet warm with a pair of hefty socks. For extra warmth, wear knee socks and then pull the tops of the socks over your leggings.

AEO Ski Boot Socks: $9.71 from American Eagle Outfitters

3.  A turtleneck

Over your base, a turtleneck will keep you extra warm on your outing while protecting your throat from cold and wind.

Ralph Lauren Lauren Ribbed Turtleneck Sweater from Macys: $49.99

4.  Corduroys

A pair of thick corduroys over your leggings will easily slip into your boots. Why corduroy and not denim? Corduroy is especially durable and warm.

Matchstick Cord from J. Crew: $89.50

5.  A waterproof, puffy coat

While your favorite peacoat is perfect for walking to and from class, it is not ideal for cold winter walks through the forest. Instead, opt for a waterproof, down-filled coat with a hood to stay toasty.

Larry Levine Down and Feather Fill Coat with Faux Fur Trip from Nordstrom: $99.90

6.  Waterproof boots

Don’t let soaked socks ruin your good time! Wet, cold, heavy socks can cut short your time outside enjoying nature.

Sorel 1964 Pac Graphic 15: $140.00

7.  A hefty scarf

I cannot say this enough—when you are spending a lot of time outside in the cold, you need to protect your throat! Grandma was right when she said that exposing your throat will give you a cold.

ASOS Oversize Square Scarf in Check: $33.00

8.  Hat and gloves

Although you do not lose a majority of heat out of the top of your head, cold air can make your ears red and achy. Protect your fingers from frostbite with some lined waterproof gloves.

Dorfman Pacific Plaid Trooper Hat from REI: $32.00

Women’s Wind Challenger Fleece Gloves from LL Bean: $24.95

9.  Sunglasses

The intense bright white of the snow acts like a mirror when the sun hits it just right—many people experience snow blindness while skiing! Protect your eyes on your walk with a pair of sunglasses.

Oakley Sunglasses, OO9198 PULSE from Nordstrom: $130.00

Now that you’re prepared, enjoy those beautiful winter walks!

Her Campus at Emory University