This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Now that October has officially commenced and the temperature in Atlanta has dropped below 80 degress, it’s time to start thinking about dressing warmly. Whether pumpkin spiced lattes or Halloween deocrations are your favorite part of the chilly autumn season, I think we can all agree that the most important part of fall is sartorial, aka the fall wardrobe. Since the weather hasn’t fully hit freezing temperatures yet and has only just begun to chill, here is your guide to layering so that you can look stylish throughout the day (even if it does get a little warmer in the afternoon). 

Step 1: Utilize the scarf.

A scarf is a great way to 1) look trendy, 2) stay warm and 3) it can be easiy removed when the weather warms up. Just like Amanda Seyfried, you can match it to your pants to create a more cohesive look, or go for something more colorful. Either way, you can take it off if you get a bit too hot. 

Step 2: Don’t shy away from a sweater/maxi combo. 

A maxi is your best friend throughout all types of weather, even fall/winter. The best part about the maxi is you can layer under and over it! Sport a pair of leggings or tights underneath (no one will ever know) and a cute belted sweater up top. If you get hot as the day progresses, you can remove the tights and/or the sweater and still keep the essence of the look. 

Step 3: Don’t put away your summer clothes just yet. 

Too attached to your crop tops and thin tanks to put them away? Easy! Just layer them underneath a sweater, blazer or coat. Example above: layer a thin neutral tank under a split sweater for a playful and warm look. 

The most important aspect of fall layering to remember is that anything goes, you can hang on to that summer maxi and pair it with a warm sweater or that 90s slip dress over a tight turtle neck. It’s fall and you can get away with anything to stay warm!

Images via: Pinterest: Cosmopolitan, Anthropologie & Refinery 29. 

Her Campus at Emory University