La-Quan X. Bates, Director of Identities Xposed Fashion Show and Men’s Style Coach​

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.
Saying La-Quan is a perfectionist is an understatement. I’m sure you’ve seen him on campus–he’s the one person who actually gets dressed every day for class. When I say dressed, I don’t mean just throwing an outfit together, I mean like all his outfits slay! Meet La-Quan X. Bates, director of the IDX Fashion Show taking place this semester. Since La-Quan exudes perfection, it’s no wonder he is also a member of Trickanometry (TNT)!!! Make sure to check out the fashion show this semester (I’m sure it won’t disappoint), and read up on how La-Quan evolved into “LXB: The Style Coach”!!!!

Her Campus Emory (HCE):Why did you choose to start a fashion show?

La-Quan X. Bates (LXB): First I’ll start off by saying that it’s still extremely surprising to me that a fashion show isn’t an annual event that happens here at Emory! I LOVE being a part of fashion shows and was extremely disappointed when I was told that fashion shows don’t take place here, so being the person that I am I decided to take matters into my own hands and make it happen! My goal is to make this event as diverse as possible and expose the student body at Emory to the wonderful “world” of fashion, even if it’s just for one night. Another important goal of mine is to show that beauty comes in ALL shapes, sizes, and colors! 

HCE: How were the auditions? 

LXB:AHHH! Auditions were AWESOME! Nearly 100 people came out which blew my mind. I felt like I was on the set of America’s Next Top Model and loved every moment of it! We’re actually still in the process of casting models and will be holding a second set of auditions on Saturday, March 22nd from 4pm-6pm in Emory University’s Dobbs University Center room E206. We’ll be looking for both male and female models of all shapes, sizes, and colors! If anyone is interested they should register here and if they have any questions they can email idxfashionshow@gmail.com.

HCE: How did you get into fashion?

LXB: That’s a great question! My love for fashion started after working at Club Monaco in Boston during the summer of 2010. I was constantly exposed to amazing clothing and customers who dressed extremely well which inspired me to change my look. I like to say that the “birth” of LXB took place there. After working at Club Monaco my style took a COMPLETE 360 and my love for fashion grew tremendously! This then lead to the “birth” of LXB The Style Coach which is a style consulting service I started that’s dedicated to enhancing the images of men.

HCE: Do you consider yourself a “fashionisto?”

LXB: Not at all! I would consider myself a “stylista.” I have a unique sense of style which sometimes doesn’t coincide with the latest fashion trends or fads which is totally fine with me. Although I keep up with the latest fashion trends, I don’t adhere to them most of the time. 

HCE: How is the fashion scene at Emory?

LXB: The fashion scene at Emory is just ok. It isn’t horrible, but it isn’t the best either. 

HCE: When is the fashion show and what can we expect?

LXB: The show will officially be taking place on April 19th in the Math & Science Building Atrium at 7 pm! More information will be posted on our Facebook page on a later date and everyone will DEFINITELY see our wonderful flyers posted around campus. I’m not going to spoil any of the surprises, but people can expect a great show! 

If you’re interested, sign up on the Google doc! And be sure to check out La-Quan on social media!!!

Twitter and Instagram: @lxbstylecoach

Her Campus at Emory University