Jiny Lee, President and Founder of She’s the First, Emory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

At Emory, we often take for granted the opportunities our education provides us. In developing nations, however, there often aren’t resources available for girls’ education, even after they overcome societal obstacles. Jiny Lee brought She’s the First to Emory to help raise money to give girls in developing nations the opportunities to become the first in their families to graduate from secondary school.

HerCampus Emory (HCE): Tell me a little bit about She’s the First.

Jiny Lee (JL): She’s the First is a non-profit organization that raises money to sponsor girls’ education in developing countries. As a collegiate chapter, we raise money and host events to raise awareness about educational issues.

HCE: How did you get involved with She’s the First?

I was inspired to start She’s the First at Emory by my older sister who actually started her chapter at her college. The idea really stuck with me. I thought it was a great way to channel my free time towards a cause that’s really worthwile. Getting an education is really important to me and if I can help another girl achieve an education, I’m up for it!

HCE: Do you plan to do something with education in the future?

JL: Honestly? I’m not sure. When I was younger, I really wanted to be a teacher but that dream didn’t really stick with me growing up. But I really would like to continue some charity work, either with charity work or anything of the sort. When I grow up, I want to find ways to give back to the less fortunate.

HCE: How can others get involved?

JL: Just get in touch with one of the members! Email me or any one of the Vice Presidents. You can also attend one of the General Body Meetings (dates are TBA). We’re non-exclusive, and if you want to and are able to dedicate the time to give back, we’ll welcome you. If you don’t know any of the members, you can always contact us through the Facebook Page!

HCE: You have a big event coming up! Tell the readers about it.

JL: We’re taking orders for our Bake Sale through Friday (November 1) and we’ll deliver them to your dorm. There will be baked goods being sold during Wonderful Wednesday and on Tuesday during the Farmer’s Market; look for our table in Asbury Circle from 12-2 where we’ll be selling cupcakes.

Make sure you come out and buy some cupcakes for a great cause!

Originally a New Jersey native, Emily now calls London, England home. She is a Creative Writing/English major and is a rowing, Grey's Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars enthusiast. 
Her Campus at Emory University