Jessica Jaksich ’13, Her Campus Emory Co-Founder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This week, Her Campus Emory decided to catch up with one of our co-founders, Jessica Jaksich ’13, to see how the real world is treating her after graduation. She has some great insights into how to kickstart a career in journalism or marketing in a new city. Read on to find out!

HerCampus Emory (HCE): Real talk. How would you describe the real world after college?

Jessica Jaksich (JJ): I haven’t fully accepted this whole “real world” thing. I like to pretend I’m still at a summer internship (that never ends!!!). I’m thinking my wake up call might come in a few weeks when I find myself in my office during the winter holidays.

But in all seriousness, life is good. I love living in NYC. I have no family in the northeast, but luckily Emory is everywhere. I spend most of my time with college friends, and I’ve been meeting tons of new people (friends of friends).

Working is exhausting! 50 minute college classes do not prepare you for 10 hour work days. I come home from work and immediately collapse onto my couch. The good thing is I can actually relax at the end of the day. No homework, no studying, no stress. 

HCE: According to your Facebook, you’re a social media & marketing coordinator. Tell me a little bit about what that means/what you do, day-to-day.

JJ: I work for a brand management company that owns over 30 retail brands. I work on the women’s marketing team, and I am personally responsible for creating social media content for 6-7 brands. I am on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the works ALL DAY LONG (can’t complain). We use celebrity spokespeople and social media ambassadors for a lot of our brands, and create various social media campaigns in an effort to convert the celebrity’s social followings to followers/fans of our brands. Our PR team puts on lots of glamorous events that I get to attend and I’ve even met a few of the celebs! One of my job highlights so far was definitely working the Badgley Mischka show at New York Fashion Week.

HCE: Do you have any advice for current seniors/students interested in journalism and business?

JJ: FOLLOW UP EMAILS! Anytime you connect with someone in the field be sure to maintain that relationship and let them know you are serious about joining their profession. Getting a job takes persistence. Don’t be afraid to reach out to Emory alum or email someone you barely know. That person could end up being your new boss.

For students interested in journalism, just keep writing. If it means starting a personal blog, or freelancing for various websites, the best thing you can do is build up your portfolio. Most job applications require writing samples, and published work (even if just posted on a blog) is always a plus.

Last tip, if you’re trying to get a job in a different city – GO THERE. Get on a plane and go interview in person. It will show dedication and your willingness to relocate.

HCE: What are 3 things you miss about Emory/college and 3 things you don’t miss? (If you don’t have 3 for either that’s totally fine).

JJ: That first list is endless, but if I had to pick a top three…

I miss:
1) Being able to see my friends whenever I want
2) Maggie’s
3) Going out in costumes

What I don’t miss
1) The reading room
2) The sandwich line at Cox
3) My pre 19th century English classes

Thanks for the great insight Jessica! It’s great to see Her Campus alums doing so well. We’re excited to see what you do next! 

Originally a New Jersey native, Emily now calls London, England home. She is a Creative Writing/English major and is a rowing, Grey's Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars enthusiast. 
Her Campus at Emory University