Jamie Shulman, ’15, Director for Emory’s Rent the Runway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Formal season is quickly approaching, which means girls are running to the mall or scrambling through their friends’ closets in search of the perfect dress. Feeling dress stressed? Meet Jamie (’15), Emory’s Rent the Runway director. Learn more about her initiatives with Rent the Runway and how she can help you find the perfect outfit at RTR’s Trunk Show on April 8th! 

Her Campus Emory (HCE): What is Rent the Runway? 

Jamie Shulman (JS): Rent the Runway is a nation-wide company based in New York City that brings designer dresses, accessories and bags to girls all over the country for up to 90% the retail price. Girls can browse the hundreds of dresses online and pick one dress (with two sizes) for a special event, party or just a regular night out. Rent the Runway is amazing for college students because people do not always want to repeat outfits, and RTR is the perfect solution for always having something fun and new to wear. The dresses or accessories can be kept for 4 days, and then the shipping back to the RTR corporate office is paid for, so all you have to do is put the dresses in the bag and drop it off at a mail box!

HCE: How did you become involved in it?

JS: I have been on the RTR site since my junior year of high school and when I found out that RTR was trying to promote college usage by starting their “Rent the Runway OnCampus” program. I knew I wanted to get involved. I went to an event that RTR held in the city and met one of the college coordinators, and when she found out I went to Emory she said she was looking for someone to start a group on our campus. So along with a few friends, I talked to the college coordinators about how to start the Emory base. 

HCE: What do your responsibilities entail?

JS: As a manager I oversee all the other different jobs that go on: social media, event planning, campus outreach and so much more. I talk to the corporate office about once a month to communicate how RTR is doing on Emory’s campus. We have promo codes and free gifts to give out from the corporate office so I try to give away those things and promote the website at Wonderful Wednesday.

HCE: Why are you teaming up with Greek life to broadcast Rent the Runway? 

JS: This year, I really wanted our Trunk Show to be a huge success, and Emory Panhellenic has a ton of resources and a great outreach to the Greek community. Teaming up with other organizations on campus was key in putting this event together so that we could reach as many girls as possible. Along with Rent the Runway, I am also the internal affairs editor for the Emory’s fashion magazine Bubble. 

The event will be held on Tuesday April 8th at 6:45 on the sorority lawn. There will be a Progressive Dinner hosted by the Panhellenic Council, so free food and for the first 50 people that show up there will be a goodie bag also! There will be a ton of dresses to try on for date parties, formals or just to get dressed up for any upcoming night out! Bubble will be promoting its Spring issue as well! Any girl that tries on a dress will be entered to for a free dress rental!

HCE: How can students get involved?

JS: Anyone that wants to get involved with Rent the Runway can e-mail me at: jshulm4@emory.edu. There are a lot of positions open, and we are always looking for enthusiastic girls who have a strong interest in fashion.

Her Campus at Emory University