This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Jalyn, a Junior in the College, who is dedicated athlete, sister, and activist. Check out below to find out more about Jalyn! 

Full Name: Jalyn Gabriella Radziminski Smith

Major: Linguistics and Interdisciplinary Studies with a Human Rights focus

Hometown: Fort Wayne, IN

Extracurricular Activities: I run for the Varsity Cross Country and Track teams (the 800m is my life), I play a lot of different instruments (piano, violin, flute, trombone, and euphonium), I played trombone for Emory’s Jazz Band, I lead the MERGE program, I am an actress for Issues Troupe, I am a mentor for and former mentee of the 1915 Scholars program, I work at the Emory Alumni Association as an intern and student ambassador, and I also do a lot of activist work, such as being a student leader in the Black Student Demands, specifically in regards to mental health.

Relationship Status: Single

Greek Affiliation: I am one of the newest members of the EnchANting Alpha Nu Chapter of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. . It is one of the best decisions of my life. We uphold the tenets: sisterhood, service, scholarship, leadership, and multiculturalism. Our motto is sisters of diversity together as ONE!

Her Campus Editor (HCE): Describe yourself in five words.

Jalyn: Jazzy, goofy, activist, athletic, diplomatic.

HCE: What are three ways a person can win your heart?

Jalyn: 1) If a person does acts of kindness and shows compassion for others. 2) Being reliable, respectful, and mutually supportive. 3) Being fun and spontaneous. 

HCE: What is the worst pick up line you’ve heard?

Jalyn: “Girl if you were a pirate, would you want your parrot on this shoulder *places hand on right shoulder* or this shoulder *places hand on other shoulder to have their arms around me*? 

HCE: What is your biggest pet peeve?

Jalyn: Being blamed for something I didn’t do.

HCE: Where do you like to hang out on campus? 

Jalyn: Hmm…this one is tough because, to be honest, I am ALWAYS on the move. You will most likely find me running at the track or Lullwater. You can also find me Schwartz a lot, listening or playing music. I actually love reading and researching, but I hate the library, so I can also be spotted by the fountains on a nice day.

HCE: What has been your biggest accomplishment since being at Emory?

Jalyn: I’m not sure what my biggest accomplishment since being at Emory is yet. I just feel accomplished in the things I am involved with and having the ability to support my loved ones and the community I care so much about. I did recently win the Trailblazer Award.

HCE: Describe your ideal weekend.

Jalyn: My ideal weekend would be with my loved ones, feeling free, being in the moment, being myself, and just having fun. Also, my ideal weekend would involve having all my school work done, winning a race and/or slaying a musical performance. 

HCE: If you could meet a famous person, dead or alive, who would it be?

Jalyn: Obama and his family. 

HCE: If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be? 

Jalyn: How have you practiced self care and how have you supported the people you love?

Her Campus at Emory University