Style

How To Tackle The Athleisure Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The athleisure trend has been around for several style seasons now, and it’s showing no signs of slowing down. I’m certainly not complaining. Athleisure is the ideal college girl apparel: it’s super comfortable, trendy, and makes you look athletic (even if you aren’t)! Wearing athleisure clothing can even be a motivating factor to hit up the gym…you’re already wearing the proper attire, so why not hop on the elliptical for a bit? Here, my top tips on incorporating more athleisure pieces into your wardrobe. You’ll be looking stylish and sporty in no time!

Leggings

If, like me, you’re on team “leggings as pants,” these are probably already a staple in your wardrobe. But there are no many options beyond the basic black Lululemon Wunder Unders (although I highly recommend those too). If you want to stay in the black family, which are guaranteed to look great with any top or sweater, look for a pair with an interesting fabric or details like cutouts or mesh. I’m personally a huge fan of the Alo High-Waist Moto Legging. The leather-esque panels are super edgy, so the pants can easily take you from day to night. They come in a variety of neutral colors too, so they’re good gateway leggings if you want to explore outside black.

Free People also offers a surprising selection of unique leggings. The “On Tour” style is a personal fave. These extra-flattering leggings fit tight to the body and feature a trendy lace-up detail at the bottom hem. The “Motion” leggings are also super cool and guaranteed to get you compliments. These ballerina-inspired wrap hem leggings are perfectly feminine with a little edge.

Hats

Whether you’re having a bad hair day, are planning to spend a significant amount of time in the sun, or just want to look extra sporty, a hat is the perfect addition to any outfit. If you’re looking for some basics, Urban Outfitters carries a selection of neutral caps, along with classic options from Adidas, Champion, Calvin Klein and more.

Sporty hats can also add some much-needed texture to your daily look. Rag & Bone has a perfectly minimalist suede option that comes in a variety of shades, including a trendy rose color. ASOS also offers a great selection of caps. If you’re going for a cool girl vibe, the faux leather one will be a go-to.

You can’t go wrong with repping your favorite sports team, or if that doesn’t exist, our very own Emory Eagles. The bookstore carries a variety of baseball hat options that will give an otherwise unassuming outfit some school spirit.

Sneakers

If you’ve been following any of the Instagram style influencers, you already know that sneakers have taken over the fashion world. Kicks are no longer workout exclusive. They can be paired with dresses, jeans, or basically anything else and look totally acceptable! Of course you can rock the pairs you already own, but there are so many cool styles available now, it’s the perfect time to try something new!

Platform sneakers will give you extra height and confidence while staying super comfortable. The shiny silver fabric on this Marc Fisher “Emmy” pair is bound to make a statement. If you’re in the market for something more subtle, Steve Madden has some great options.

Sneakers can also add the perfect pop to an otherwise boring outfit. When you’re wearing your typical all-black ensemble, chuck on a pair of colorful or patterned sneaks to add a cool touch to your look. Keds partnered with Kate Spade to create a line of unique patterned tennis shoes for this spring season. They’re definitely worth checking out.

Sports Bras

No longer meant to be hidden under tops, sports bras have taken center stage and are now designed to be showcased under sheer and lower cut tops. Clearly more comfortable than a typical underwire bra, sports bras are the ideal solution to a tricky top, and you won’t feel inclined to whip it off the second you get home!

If a top leaves your back exposed, the Onzie Chic Yoga Sports Bra is your best bet. With over 10 color options, you’re bound to find one that matches your style. The crisscross design of the back straps will offer you support and style.

Some other favorites include the ALALA X-Back sports bra, whose high cut style and perforated fabric are perfectly edgy, and the Zella Lace It Up Sports Bra, which can take you from yoga to the library while keeping you on trend.

Cropped Tops

What goes better with a pair of high-rise leggings than an adorable crop top? Whether you want to expose just a little sliver of tummy or put your abs on full display, a crop top is a cute piece that shows off your figure and keeps you cool in the hot weather.

You can’t go wrong with a graphic tee that spreads a positive message. Spiritual Gangster offers a cropped tank with the words “Good Karma” printed on the front. Nike and Adidas have cool cropped styles with the brands’ logos for those who prefer the athletic look. The Laser Cut Crop Top from Ivy Park has a unique texture and looser fit that looks great with fitted bottoms.

There’s no need to sacrifice comfort for style. The athleisure trend lets you have both. Incorporating some of these suggestions into your wardrobe this spring will ensure that you’re feeling fit and looking trendy all season long.

Her Campus at Emory University