This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Whether you’re a cooking novice or a professional chef, everyone has burned something in the kitchen at least once. Luckily, scorching those cookies you invested hours into no longer has to end in frustration and wasted ingredients. Simply use the following tips to help save whatever you’re cooking!

For cookies:

Here are a couple of methods I use when cookies come out a little crunchier than I hoped for, but they work perfectly well for burnt cookies, too! Just store your cookies overnight in an airtight container with a couple of apple slices or a piece of bread, and by morning, they will be significantly softer.

For muffins or cakes:

If your muffins or cakes turn out too dry or overdone, spoon a small amount of milk over them while they’re still warm to inject more moisture.

For vegetables:

Okay, this one’s a little more intuitive, but if you’ve burned your vegetables, scoop out only the un-burnt pieces, and put them into a new pan. But, when transferring the vegetables, make sure not to scrape the bottom of your burnt pan because this will only cause the burnt flavor to spread more. Also, try seasoning your veggies with lemon juice or vinegar; the acidity will help conceal the bitter, burnt taste.

Good luck, and happy cooking!

Linguistics and Anthropology Major
Her Campus at Emory University