How to Maintain Your New Year’s Resolutions…One Month Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Throwback to one month ago when we all vowed to become healthier, more hydrated and generally just better versions of ourselves in 2017. Every year, we make resolutions to completely change our lives starting January 1st, yet, we rarely see these goals follow through. So, we’ve compiled a list of tricks you can use to uphold those New Years resolutions throughout February and the rest of the year.

Eat healthier.

As time goes on, we all begin to slip into old habits with unhealthy food. Although it’s significantly easier when you live in your own apartment rather than on campus, try to cook for yourself whenever possible. Not only does it save you tons of calories and help with portion control, but it also makes those small indulgences like dessert and alcohol less significant in the scheme of your overall diet. Cooking is also a great way to spend time with friends while being productive!

Get more exercise.

After the holidays, we all have a little difficulty sliding into our favorite skinny jeans and strive to slough off some of that excess weight in the new year. But, exercise doesn’t have to be time-consuming or boring! Walking to school is the perfect way to work your way toward your daily 10,000 steps. Dancing the night away at a certain neighborhood bar and grill is also a sneaky way to sweat it out.

Drink more water.

Sipping H20 is now easier and more stylish than ever. Water bottles can be worn like an accessory and add pattern or color to your outfit. S’well bottles are my personal favorite—not only are they super trendy, but they also keep your water chilled for 24 hours. The more water you drink, the more your body will crave it, so start chugging!

Get organized.

The concept of a planner full of color-coordinated sticky notes is idyllic, and we’d all like to come home to a perfectly kept apartment. But, instead of aiming for perfection, try to incorporate more realistic goals that you can achieve every day. Make your bed every morning, do your dishes after you cook, or make a to-do list every night. Establishing rituals will make you feel more put-together and ready to tackle the day.

Save money.

College life can be expensive—primarily because of food! But, there are small and easy ways to save some dough while still enjoying your favorite things. Making your coffee at home will save you so much, so fast. Those $4 Starbucks drinks seriously add up. Purchase a Brita that can filter your water instead of constantly purchasing plastic bottles that also hurt the environment. Hit up YouTube for some meal prep ideas and learn how you can prepare food ahead of time without spending tons of money.

Read more.

With pages of textbook readings and journal articles already consuming our free time, how are we supposed to find time to read for fun? Although it might be a hard change to make, try reading a chapter or two of before bed instead of checking your Instagram feed for the umpteenth time. It’s the perfect way to gain some knowledge and simultaneously soothe your mind so that you can have sweet dreams.

Be happy.

“Don’t worry, be happy.” It’s easier said than done, but being happy starts with surrounding yourself with people who uplift and support you. Shedding toxic people from your life will make you feel instantly less bogged down and will allow you to focus on the people who really inspire you to be the best version of yourself.

Implement some of these tips and you’ll be on your way to conquering those 2017 resolutions. New year, new you…right? 

Her Campus at Emory University