How to Get the Perfect Spring Break Tan (Or At Least Look Like It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Spring break is a time for beachin’ and letting loose. But just because this is what spring break is supposed to be, doesn’t mean that is reality. Bad weather, sports teams, familial obligations are just a part of life. So, even if you couldn’t make it to that tropical island this time, at least look like you did. Fake it til you make it, am I right ladies!? Here are some options for how to do so:

1. Spray Tan

Spray tans are tricky. When done right, it can look like you just returned from a weekend getaway in Turks and Caicos. A bad spray tan, however, can leave you looking streaky and orange, something nobody wants. First off, make sure you have references for the person you are going to. Look out for people who have gotten spray tans before and ask (if they look good) where they went. Instead of going in blind, you have an example of what you’ll probably look like. Stay away from machines to limit streakiness or pulling a Ross Geller—stick to airbrush spray tans for a natural look. Make sure to exfoliate and shave or wax beforehand to maximize results. Beware, the tan gets darker with time, so let it sit overnight, but shower the next morning to avoid becoming too dark.

1.Self-Tanner

Just like a spray tan, the type of self-tanner you use is key. Personally, I prefer tanning towels over lotion. It lowers the possibility of streakiness, for if you accidentally cover a spot twice, it will not appear as dark. Just like the spray tan, make sure to exfoliate beforehand. Be sure to keep track of where you have tanned yourself, so not to cause any pale spots. Afterwards, be sure to scrub your hands thoroughly so they don’t turn orange! For the best results, try Dr. Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pad.

2. CC Cream/Bronzer

Similar to foundation, CC cream is merely a tinted moisturizer normally containing SPF. Get one shade darker than your usual for a nice, tan effect. However, what you do to your face, you MUST do to your neck. If not, the illusion is faltered and it looks like you have an orange face and a pale body. The same is too be said about bronzer. To really stand out, apply your CC cream as a base and use the bronzer to contour. To contour, make a three on the side of your face, starting from where your eyebrows are, to your cheekbones, and finishing at your chin.

#ProTip: Make your eyes pop and your tan shine with highlighter! Apply it as eyeshadow and you will glow like the stunning beach babe that you are! Just remember: tan lines may fade, but the memories never do. 

Her Campus at Emory University