Hot in the Fashion World: Designer Serkan Sarier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The college fashionista is always looking for the next big thing to unveil as she walks into Monday morning class with her latte in hand. Well, the newest thing has arrived and is getting loads of press, not just for the fabulous clothing, but the face behind the name! Serkan Sarier is the hottest (literally, male model status!) up-and-coming designer of the season and has a new collection people simply adore. Bursting out in 2010, Sarier waited until after the hype of New York Spring Fashion Week to unveil his first collection called Brood. This collection, and the collections since then, showcased elegant, feminine pieces with utilitarian aspects. There is a strong base construction that transforms into floaty washed and distressed silks throughout the rest of the piece.

Sarier seeks to dress the modern woman, who is elegant, sassy, spirited, savvy, and energized. His newest collection, the Spring/Summer 2013 collection, showcases dresses women can feel comfortable in at any time of the day. Almost all of the dresses contain a drawstring that allows the wearer to make it shorter or longer, depending on their mood. Pale neutrals with pops of vibrant color are a staple of Sarier’s design taste, as well as mixing floral prints with different patterns, lace, and colors.

This Bosnian and Turkish designer graduated from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, where creative minds such as Vincent van Gogh and Kris Van Assche are counted as past alumni. After graduation, Sarier worked as an assistant for Emanuel Ungaro on couture collections, perhaps inspiring his love of couture shapes, as well as working under Giambattista Valli, Haider Ackermann, and Olivier Theyskens. Since then, Sarier has moved on and created his own name, which is quickly gaining fame and prominence. Celebrities such as Emma Watson and Rihanna, among others, are devoted clienteles. Barney’s New York picked up Sarier’s first collection, and certainly not his last!

As Serkan Sarier becomes a more dominant force in the fashion design world, we hope to see a great deal more of his impeccable work and innovative designs. Perhaps he’ll do a line at a price range we won’t have to spend years saving for! For now, however, keep your eye on this guy and his design, and shop around to see how you can recreate Sarier’s solid base constructions beneath whimsical distressed silks and chiffons, or match black and white floral dresses with lace and vibrant orange accents!

Her Campus at Emory University