Hannah Fleischmann: Women of Excellence (’20C)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Hannah, a second year being honored as a Woman of Excellence by the Center for Women at Emory. Check out below for more on Hannah and this wonderful accomplishment! 

Name: Hannah Fleischmann

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science and Community Building and Social Change

HometownSeattle, Washington

Extracurricular Activities: Co-President-Planned Parenthood Generation Action Emory, Secretary for She’s the First, Research Assistant for Beth Reingold on State Legislature Diversity and Representation, Tour Guide, Young Democrats Member, Volunteering 

Tameka: What are five words you would use to describe yourself? 

Hannah: Motivated, passionate, happy, compassionate, authentic

T: What does being a woman mean to you? How has this shaped your experience at Emory?

H: I consider being a woman to be a very integral part of who I am as a person. As a feminist I believe that i have the same rights and responsibilities as any other human being to fight for equal rights and pave the way for other women.  I feel that I am my best self when I am doing my part to improve not only Emory, but the world for women. I have deep pride and respect for other women who are blazing trails and being the voice for girls who may not have one. My experience at Emory has been largely shaped by the women’s organizations I am involved in, especially starting Emory’s chapter of Planned Parenthood Generation Action with my friend Ellie Samuels, a strong feminist and someone who inspires me every single day. These organizations have grounded me and kept me focused on education and awareness building for women’s rights.

T: How does it feel to be recognized as a Woman of Excellence by the Center for Women?

H: I am honored to have been recognized as a Woman of Excellence and I wish that I could share this award with all of the other amazing women out there working hard to make Emory and the world a better place. I am also very privileged to share this award with the other Women of Excellence this year and all other years. I can always do more to further the cause for women, and I promise that I will never stop working to do that until the world is an equal place for men and women. 

T: What is something you’d like to share with other women in the Emory community?

H: I want to say that we are a strong community of women here at Emory and that through our sisterhood we have the power to instill real change in the world. We need to rely on one another and come together in solidarity to fight for equality and justice. Now more than ever, women are needed to use their voices, or pens, or films, or stories to resist and to stand up for what we believe in.  We can’t let others define who we are as women…we need to shape that vision as individuals and as a community which will make us even stronger!

Her Campus at Emory University