This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Somehow in this “technology generation” print still prevails. Who wants to hold a kindle when you can hold a book? Who wants to find out what is going on in the world by scrolling through a miniscule phone screen when you can read the newspaper? Not me, that’s for sure. Print is the real Louis Vuitton bag and technology is its knockoff. Pages fill the newsstands with everything we need to know including who killed who, what we are fighting for, what deathly disease we are trying to avoid, who got elected for what, and so on. But most importantly, print fills us in on the billion-dollar industry that is fashion. Below are some of my favorite fashion magazines along with everything you need to know about them:

Vogue

Editor in Chief: Anna Wintour

Publisher: Condé Nast

About: If you don’t know Vogue, in the words of Miranda Priestley, “that’s all.” Vogue, meaning style in French, is the end all be all in the world of fashion journalism. It truly began with the hiring of the legendary Anna Wintour who essentially redesigned the brand in 1988, and the rest is history. Vogue is published in 23 different national and regional editions making its mark all around the world. Vogue is known for being high-end and iconic, featuring women who are as influential as the magazine itself. These include Lena Dunham, Cara Delevingne, Emma Stone, and Victoria Beckham (Sorry, Kim). Some even say it feeds them more than dinner. 

Teen Vogue

Editor in Chief: Amy Astley

Publisher: Condé Nast

About: Teen Vogue is the little sister to Vogue, the Kylie to Vogue’s Kendall, if you will. Relatively new on the scene since 2003, it is less high fashion and more teeny bopper. This is not to say it isn’t influential, it just is influential to a different target age group. Covers feature people like Rita Ora, Ke$ha, Kendall Jenner, Lorde, Elle Fanning, Lea Michelle, Ariana Grande, and Selena Gomez. I personally feel like I am growing out of Teen Vogue but can’t seem to cancel my subscription. #foreveryoung.

Nylon

Editor in Chief: Michelle Lee

Publisher: Dana Fields

About: Nylon is that edgy friend we all have that is beyond cool yet doesn’t seem to try at all. Founded in 1999, Nylon not only deals with fashion but also music, art, and travel. It carved out it’s own niche by featuring individuals that are up and coming and under the radar, people that we may not know about but after reading Nylon will aspire to be. People like Leighton Meester, Alexa Chung, Lana Del Rey, Tavi Gevinson, Aubrey Plaza, and Demi Lovato are all among the multi-faceted people who have taken the spotlight. You may have heard about Nylon through America’s Next Top Model as “a fashion spread in Nylon magazine” (Tyra Banks voice) is part of the prize package. If you don’t already read Nylon, you’re probably too mainstream, and I suggest you rethink your subscription choices. 

Seventeen

Editor in Chief: Ann Shoket

Publisher: Hearst Magazines

About: Seventeen takes everything going on in our 17th year of life and sticks it all into the pages of their magazine. Dating all the way back to 1944, Seventeen has basically been guiding teens since ‘Nam. It features fashion, beauty, celebrities, love life, health, and college. What more does a teenager need? Unlike Teen Vogue, it is not following in the footsteps of a bigger brand; it is its own entity, which allows it to thrive so well on its own. One Direction, Jennifer Lawrence, Shay Mitchell, Lucy Hale, and Sarah Hyland have all graced the covers of this teen Bible. Reading Seventeen almost makes me wish I was 17 again, but then I think hmmm betta not.

Cosmopolitan

Editor in Chief: Joanna Coles

Publisher: Hearst Magazines

About: Let’s talk about sex baby (and fashion). Cosmopolitan is everything women: fashion, beauty, sex, relationships, health, and careers. Joanna Coles has been empowering women since 2006 when she put her stamp on the already established magazine, thanks to previous editor in chief Kate White. (Note to self: get a blond short haircut if I ever want to become Cosmo’s editor in chief). Covers have included Megan Fox, Katy Perry, Khloe Kardashian, Miley Cyrus, Sofia Vergara, and Ashley Benson. Aka women who aren’t afraid to be who they are. If someone is confused about this controversial idea of feminism, shove an issue of Cosmopolitan in his face- that should do the trick.

Update your subscriptions, ladies, because magazine journalism is not going anywhere.   

Her Campus at Emory University