Give Back, ASAP: Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention Food Drive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Emory girls flock to Her Campus for a guilty pleasure read, but there’s no need to feel guilty about reading the following article.

It’s our time to give back. This month, the Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention is holding a food drive for the Refugee Resettlement and Immigration Services of Atlanta (RRISA).

ASAP is a student-led organization dedicated to increasing awareness about sexual assault on college campuses, specifically here at Emory. They work toward the common goal of ending sexual violence at Emory, through workshops, rallies, speak outs, panels and more.

ASAP’s work goes beyond the scope of Emory. ASAP is working with RRISA to bring global issues to a micro level. RRISA, a resettlement agency working in the greater Atlanta area, helps refugees from around the country adjust to their new lives in the United States. Often times, the refugees flee their home country to seek safety in camps. But instead of safety, we are seeing drastic increases in sexual violence and rape. Rates of STIs including HIV and AIDS are significantly higher among refugee populations, as well.

Based in Atlanta, RRISA works with refugees and their families upon their arrival in the U.S. to start fresh. The organization helps them find apartments and furnishing, and even stocks these new homes with food before refugees arrive. They also help refugees find doctors and continue to provide aid in the first five years of their transition into their new lives.

Bringing this organization even closer to home, our own ASAP organization is placing boxes around campus for non-perishables, such as canned food goods. Students, faculty and alumni are encouraged to help ASAP and RRISA in collecting rice, sugar, salt and canola oil. This food drive is for everyone and a great way to give back to Emory student organizations, RRISA and sexual violence in the global scope.

Keep your eyes out for boxes around campus and be sure to stock up on non-perishables! 

I am a Journalism and Film Co-Major hoping to write my way through life.
Her Campus at Emory University