The Freshmen Files: Formal Packing Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Once a year, Emory girls flock down to the tackiest part of Florida with a fraternity boy in the last hurrah known as Frat Formal. If you are a freshman who was lucky enough to be asked to this ~exclusive~ event, I know you are clueless, as was I, about the attire. Emory frat boys seem to have no advice on the matter i.e. a real quote from a ZBT fratstar: “”when it comes to shoes, I recommend them.”

Since I know you’re all busy searching pinterest and painting coolers, I’ve decided to put together an extensive packing guide. So now when you are putting the last coat of Mod Podge on your cooler the night before formal you can throw a bag together in 5 minutes or less. 

Bus/Car Outfit:

Though this may seem like an obvious one, think again. For sitting on a bus or in a car for around six hours comfort is definitely key. However if the fraternity you are going with is taking a bus at night, they may be having an unofficial pregame before boarding the bus. In this case, your juicy sweats and baggy sweatshirt may not be the best option. Opt for yoga pants that are more fitted and that accentuate the right areas. Wear layers, involving a skimpy tank top underneath, since the temperature of the bus is unpredictable. Lastly, if you wear sneaker wedges on the bus or in the car #doless. 

Bathing Suits: 

Since it’s not the prime of summer and we may not have as much color as we’d like to, the first day bathing suit should definitely be a dark color as to not wash out our unfortunate pale skin. When selecting bathing suits you should keep how photogenic they are in the back of your mind. You will be taking lots of pics on the beach, so you should love the suit you choose. On that note, if you’ve been slacking on your formal diet/workouts and are uncomfortable with baring yourself on the beach, make sure to pack a cute pair of shorts or a cover-up. Once you hopefully get a nice base tan on the first day, whip out the white/light colored bathing suit for the second day- oldest trick in the book, but it never fails. 

Night Outfits: 

In the words of Dorothy, “I have a feeling we’re not at Mags anymore.” Nothing in PCB is fancy. The first night out is generally more casual than the second. Here nice shorts, a tank, and wedges will do. The second night is the more “formal” of the two. Last year at formal I thought I couldn’t go wrong with an LBD. I felt unstoppable until I got to the beachy restaurant and saw people on the other side in shorts and flip-flops. See if you can find out the name of the place you are going on the night of the formal to scope it out a little online beforehand. Keep outfits summery- it is Florida after all.  

Most importantly, if it fits in the suitcase, pack it. As with everything in life, it’s better to have options. Happy packing! 

Her Campus at Emory University