The Freshmen Files: Fashion Rules for Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It is officially December aka the month before recruitment. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, indeed. You’re lying if you say you haven’t been thinking about recruitment since the day you moved in. Now that it is actually approaching I think it is about time I clue you freshmen in on the fashion do’s and don’t of recruitment. With this vital information you will have a new way to procrastinate studying for finals by picking out your outfits. Trust me, it will be worth it. Though your personalities will shine through during your conversations, your outfit will be the first thing the sorority girls will see. The pressure is on. First impressions are everything, so it goes…

Round #1: Values Round

So, you want to start off strong. Unfortunately, this is made impossible by the fugly shirt you are forced to wear i.e. the one you wore for Novemberfest. You are NOT allowed to cut or alter this shirt in any way leaving it baggy and high on the neck. There is nothing you can do about this so you need to accept it now. Since the shirt is a lost cause, the rest of the outfit is even more important. Jeans are the move in this case. Any jeans will do; feel free to wear cool ripped ones that show your personal style. There is a time and place for leggings and this is not it. As for shoes, I would go the sneaker route. Avoid running sneakers, think Converse, Supergas, trendy slip ons, etc.  While boots are nicer, they look awkward with the shirt and just don’t go with the whole look overall. The same goes for flats. If you feel boots or flats better suit your personality, do you. However you will have more room to show your own style in the following rounds. 

Round #2: Philanthropy Round

This day is my personal favorite in terms of fashion: outfit of your choice. Last year I wore my favorite shirt ever for this day and this pretty much sums it up. You want to love what you’re wearing and have it be a good representation of yourself. Here is where you want to whip out your fave pair of boots or flats. It gets hot in the lodges so I’d suggest a blouse or light sweater. Keep in mind color (pit stains=bad impression) and itchiness of the sweater. Again, leggings are for the library, not recruitment. Jeans are way more presentable. Make sure you say who you are with your outfit without being too showy (fur vests could give off the wrong impression). Have fun with this day before you delve into business attire.

Round #3: Skit Night

The dress code for this round is good ole business casual. I always thought this meant you had to look boring, but learned that was a myth. Starting from the top: blouses, collared shirts, or a sweater if it is fitted and dressier. Blazers are the perfect component to this look in my opinion because they add another dimension to the top of your look plus will keep you warmer while waiting outside (you can always take off the layer when you start sweating inside). Bottoms should be either a skirt (appropriate length of course), dress pants, or you can get away with black jeans. I would recommend flats because I think they go best with the whole look plus you’d rather have only one day of walking up and down lodge stairs in heels anyway. Dark boots could work for this as well. If you are confused as to whether your outfit fits business casual ask yourself if it would be appropriate in an office setting for, say a summer internship. 

Round #4: Pref Night

Congrats, you made it to pref night. This calls for business formal aka a dress. Disclaimer: you are not going to Maggie’s. You are still making an impression. Leave the tight, slutty dresses for a date party. The key word here is CLASSY. Think something you’d wear to temple, or a dressy family gathering. Flowy dresses are safe because they avoid even being considered slutty. Watch for length as you may be sitting on the floor in some lodges while conversing. Tights are optional. Though they definitely will help you stay warm they may ruin the vibe of the look and in that case I’d rather freeze. This is the time for heels. As you already know from Novemberfest, you will be standing outside waiting on grass. Your heels will sink into the grass. Another thing you have to accept. You can wear wedges to avoid this if you are concerned or if they go better with your outfit. If you can’t walk in your heels, don’t wear them #duh. The only thing worse than having a bad outfit when meeting a sorority girl is falling in your heels when meeting a sorority girl. 

Other general reminders: Jewelry must be minimal, no watches allowed, and light makeup. Hope this helps- see you all, and your fabulous outfits, in January!

Her Campus at Emory University