Formally Frustrated: How to Find the Infamous Formal Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The quest for a formal date is quite a feat, but we as Emory girls are up for the challenge. Formal season has this inevitable tendency to creep up on everyone shortly after Spring Break. It’s our responsibility to beat the clock and find some formal suitors!  Here are a few fun and flirtatious ways to get the formal date you’ve been eyeing, or maybe even get a fresh new find.

1. Find a new frat

Don’t deny that you are an avid attendee of one single frat. How about try to go to a different one this weekend? You may be surprised about the diamonds within the rough that is a sticky, poorly ventilated frat house…

2. Fight your fears

Everyone has that one boy that they have singled out, the hottie they want to win in any way, shape or form. Remind yourself that Emory boys are not scary. Get his number, call him (text is weak) and say that you think he’ll be a fun date. Worst case scenario he says no and you get a story out of it, and now he has your number for a rainy day.

4. Be friendly in eating environments.

Dining with friends may be fun and convenient, but if you open up the table to a few guy friends and let them know about your upcoming formal, you may discover a prospect much more delicious than your Zaya’s order.

5. Give your boys some credit!

While boys that live on your hall and the goofy guys you always hang out with are just too friend zone to imagine spending a night with on a less than romantic dance floor, keep in mind: these guys have friends. Make it public that formal is coming up and you are eager to try something new.  Let someone set you up. It’s fun and definitely out of your comfort zone in all the right ways.

6. Big city chillin’?

For those of you more adventurous girls, get outside of the Emory bubble. Go out in the Highlands with some friends and meet people (safely, of course).  Atlanta is filled with some southern gentleman that love them some Emory girl. Take advantage of it.

6. Ask out your TA (student TA)…real person TA may be pushing it.

7. Window shopping?

Step one: spray some perfume on and stroll through Lenox. Step two: wink at someone who looks intriguing. Start looking in the aisles and pretend you’re just shopping. Guys typically follow their senses, literally–a whiff of your Oh, Lola! and odds are in your favor that this dude may say hi. Be brave, keep talking and start with a coffee date. Go from there.

Hopefully these ideas will inspire you to go outside of the box, fight through the madness and find a formal date.  Good luck!

I am a Journalism and Film Co-Major hoping to write my way through life.
Her Campus at Emory University