The Era of the Throwback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The throwback is in—it’s not just part of our #tbt instas. 90’s crop tops, 70’s flares and 80’s fanny packs are making their rounds among today’s most fashionable. Everything old is new again—aren’t today’s body con dresses just and ode to the 1950’s wiggle dress? Isn’t Taylor Swift’s red pout and cat eye a show show of admiration for Old Hollywood? It has now become a comfort and a joy to dive into thrift shops, revisiting the trends of yesteryear with vintage pieces. Read on to learn more about the vintage pieces that are back, and the pieces we can only hope will return.

1970’s-Style Flares

If the mid-2000s were the era of the skinny jean, then now is the era of the Flare Revival. Although we all loved how long and lean we looked in our skinnies, our legs are happy to BREATHE again. To keep this look modern, wear a dark wash and try pairing them with chunky heels, a cropped jacket, and minimalist jewelry or with a slightly cropped shirt and colorful bracelets.

Mom Jeans

Perhaps these jeans were invented for the sole purpose of creating an optical illusion on all who wear them. Perhaps they were invented as a defiant response to society’s preoccupation with Spandex. Perhaps they were invented to give the hardworking Moms of America a pair of comfortable, trusty trousers to depend on day after day. No one can quite pin down why these tapered, light wash jeans were created, but they are now being worn by London hipsters and American models alike. If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that deliberately wearing unflattering clothing in an ironic, devil-may-care way is the epitome of cool. To get this look, try wearing your mom jeans with the cuffs rolled while donning leather ankle boots.

High-Waisted Swimsuits

Perfect for indulging our pin-up/rockabilly/1950’s fantasies, the high-waisted swimsuit is a vintage dream. Quirky and fun, the high-waisted swimsuit is a welcome break from string bikinis. Try wearing this swimsuit with a big floppy hat for the ultimate vintage look and for extra protection from the strong Atlanta sun!

Her Campus at Emory University