Emory Writing Center: A Helpful Tool for Writing Papers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

We’ve all been there: slumped over in front of our laptop screen, staring aimlessly at a blank Word document until our eyes turn red. We’ve tested different fonts, stretched the margins, and even bribed ourselves with a Starbucks break. Papers—the more you put them off, the more painful they become.

But who said writing had to be so miserable? One of Emory’s best-kept secrets, the Emory Writing Center, will work with you to take your writing assignments to the next level, all while keeping you calm and confident in your abilities.

When the time came for my first college paper, I freaked. As the girl in high school notorious for starting papers the morning they were due, I knew a change was in order.

A week before the due date, I sat down to my first appointment with Samantha, a history major who read through my first draft and immediately created a game plan for me. We discussed the prompt, solidified my thesis, and worked on clearer topic sentences.  Forty-five minutes later, I left the appointment with the motivation to revamp my work in time for our next appointment, where Samantha proofread one last time and gave me insightful feedback on my body paragraphs. Despite my midterm-induced angst, Samantha remained reassuring through the entire process.  And, when I finally did turn in my paper, I knew it was my very best work.

Comprised of an enthusiastic team of gifted undergraduate and postgrad students, the Writing Center has tutors available six days a week. While appointments are offered (word of caution—slots fill up quickly!), the center also welcomes walk-ins with tutors on duty. Students are permitted to schedule two appointments per week. At a college famous for its fantastic writing program, it’s no doubt the Emory Writing Center would be anything but top notch.

English major
Her Campus at Emory University