kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This fluseason, I have been stockpiling quite the arsenal of flu-fighters. Everything from vitamin gummies, Day/NyQuil, countless bottles of water, hand sanitizer, and tea occupy spaces on my nightstand.  However, one product that I take everywhere with me rises above them all: Emergen-C.  The powdered packet of vitamin C supplements come in all flavors, ranging from “super orange” to “acai berry”, and are a supposedly easy way to get in a dose of instant health.  However, as I down my daily pack, I can’t help but wonder if they actually work to keep me healthy.

The Emergen-C brand has expanded from originally being a supplementary drink to boost one’s immune system to much more.  The cult-like following has propelled the company into producing powders that advertise hydration, energy, sleepiness, and other general wellness helpers.  The classic cold-fighting everyday immune system powder is the most popular product, and as so has received conflicting reviews on its effectiveness.

According to a Huffington Post article, which reviewed existing studies on the affectability of taking mega doses of vitamin C on cold-prevention, this extra dosage only has modest results on the average person.  While vitamin C was shown to reduce the length of a cold if taken before the cold had set in, the vitamin has no effect on symptoms or length of the sickness if taken after it had already begun. 

While no specific tests on Emergen-C have been conducted, there is no harm in ensuring you get a good dose of vitamin-c in your system.  So while powdered products may not cure you, they aren’t bad to have – unless you’re overdoing it, much like any other product.  Getting too much vitamin-c can lead to a host of stomach issues, including diarrhea and cramps, so consuming no more than 2,000 mg of the vitamin a day is important to keep in mind.  As Emergen-C contains 1,000 mg of vitamin C in each pack, just think twice before reaching for a third pack. 

Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.