This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Warm weather is finally upon us at Emory, so you know what that means… it’s officially darty season (aka DARTY SZN)!! Whether you’re hitting up the SigChi porch, the Swamp, or SAE’s pool, here are some tips for doing darties right.

1. Nice shoes are not a thing. Seriously, unless you want your brand new Stan Smiths or Pumas to be covered in summer beer or punch by the end of the day, do not wear them. Flip flops or cool slides are definitely the way to go. Make sure you don’t have any personal attachment to the shoes you wear, because trust me they will be wrecked, broken, or lost by the end of the day. 

2. Bathing suits are optional, but highly recommended. If you’re hitting up a darty without a pool, it makes sense that you wouldn’t want to waste wearing your perfect bathing suit top when you won’t be getting wet. But, bathing suits always do make for a cute outfit and especially with bodysuits being so in these days, a one-piece makes the perfect, effortless outfit. If you’re going to the Swamp or to SAE, I definitely recommend wearing a b-suit. You never know when you’ll either be thrown into the pool or just have the urge to cool off in the water. To be honest, a bathing suit is always the move.

3. Minimize the amount of accessories you’ll be wearing. You never want to be the girl crying at the darty because she just lost her earring or damaged her watch. When it comes to accessories, less is more! Sunglasses are definitely a must, but everything else I’d keep at home. I know you probably want to put on a body chain or some hoops, but honestly darties can get pretty wild, and it’s better to be on the safe side of things.

4. Take a few pics, but don’t be obnoxious. Everyone always hates that girl who takes way too many pictures at a party, and well darties are no exception. While the lighting outside during the day may be on fleek, you never want to overdo the amount of photos you ask someone to take for you. If they come out bad, get over it and ask someone a bit later to take a few more. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t get an Instagram out of it, seriously I swear. 

5. Don’t forget to drink water! I know it’s tempting to continue drinking the yummy summer beer or fun colored punch, but water is important too. In the words of Drake “It’s a marathon, not a sprint, but I still gotta win the race.” You won’t be feeling like you won the race if you completely forget to hydrate yourself and end up dead at around 6 pm with a major headache. Darties are fun, but brutal. Being out in the sun dehydrates you even faster than drinking at night does. Be smart about it.

Darties are great, they make Emory look like it’s a fun school again!! They are the perfect way to end the semester, so enjoy them. Wear your cool new bikini, throw on some Havaianas, pace your drinking, and don’t forget your sunscreen (sorry mom moment). 

Currently a sophomore at Emory University studying Art History. You can follow her on her Instagram @anyashik.
Her Campus at Emory University