Dana Vazquez: Intern at EarthShare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Name: Dana Vazquez

Year: Junior

Major: Interdisciplinary Studies w/ a focus in Corporate Sustainablity & a minor in Sociology

Extracurricular Activities: Track Coach at The Westminster Schools, Production Assistant at Theater Emory, Pi Beta Phi

Tameka: What is EarthShare?

Dana: EarthShare of Georgia is a local environmental non profit organization located in downtown Atlanta. We raise funds for nearly 60 environmental non-profits through employee/ workplace giving campaigns in the public and private sectors. Our organizations are located around the state of Georgia (Park pride, Atlanta Audubon Society, Wilderness Southeast, Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center just to name a few). EarthShare of Georgia connects people to trusted nonprofit organizations dedicated to conserving and protecting our air, land and water. We also serve as a connector, bridging the gap between the corporate and environmental communities. This year, we are using our 2017 Water Symposium & Career Expo to cultivate future sustainability leaders from the university community; which is why we are so excited to have an event at Emory this year to really reach an untapped group, students!

T: How did you get involved?

D: About a year ago, I reached out to EarthShare of Georgia’s executive director, Madeline Reamy, about any internships available for the summer. I ended up interning for the organization the end of summer 2016 and throughfall 2016. At the end of the fall semester, I was offered a position as the College and University Liaison for our Earth Day events, which includessharing the benefits of students participating in the Career Expo! I am responsible for engaging and connecting local colleges and universities. 

T: What sparked your interest in sustainability?

D:  grew up in Cleveland, Ohio living on Lake Eerie and the Cuyahoga River. The Cuyahoga River has a history of being polluted (it caught on fire in 1969) and the lake was never really clean. Once the city started investing in the environment, I was able to see the transformation on the environment; now I could go to the lake and swim or walk along the shore without worrying if the water was dirty or unsafe. I wanted to study something that would make a difference in my community and the world and protecting our natural resources is a great way to do that!

T: Can you tell us a bit about the upcoming Career Fair?

D: The Career Expo will be held on April 13th at the DUC starting at 9:30am. The Career Expo is just the morning portion of our Earth Day events for 2017! We are excited to feature corporations and non profits that are dedicated toprotecting and conserving the environment. Students will be able to learn more about these organizations, their sustainability initiatives, and opportunities within the organization, whether that’s an internship, job, or volunteer service project. The Career Expo is free for students, but there’s also an option for resume review and breakfast for $5. After the Career Expo, the Water Symposium, held at Cox Hall, will feature our keynote speaker Nicholas Mallos, Director of the Trash Free Seas Program atOcean Conservancy, a Leadership luncheon featuring a panel of water experts, water talks, and tours of Emory’s WaterHub! Students that volunteer throughout the day can get into the Water Symposium events for free or attend all events for $100, expanding the networking opportunities available!

T: How can students get involved and learn more?

D: Students who are interested in participating in anyway can visit http://www.earthsharega.org/Earth-Day for more information, checkout the flier with information on the Career Expo or contact me with any questions at dmvazqu@emory.edu!

Her Campus at Emory University