Culturally Enriching: Top Atlanta Events to Look Out For in February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

February is deemed the month of love: however, there is much more to it than trying to devise the perfect Valentine’s Day plan. This month, Atlanta is hosting friendly events that are sure to impact you in a positive way. Interests taken into account, choices are plenty. Here are a few options:

1. Mali Music at Center Stage: Sunday, February 15, 8:30pm

Kortney Jamaal Pollard, a 27-year old who performs under the stage name of Mali Music, is an American recording artist, singer-songwriter and producer whose independently released albums, The Coming (2008) and The 2econd Coming (2009), earned him the attention of underground listeners and critiques alike. Enchanting with gospel, R&B and hip-hop tunes, Mali Music has even earned a Grammy nomination with his single “Beautiful.”

2. SweetWater Brewing Company’s 18th Birthday at SweetWater Brewing Company: Sunday, February 22, 2:00pm – 6:00pm

FOR 21+ ONLY

For $18, you get to taste ten of the brand’s specialties, hear wonderful live music and sample tasty treats. More so, the event taps on your sense of charity: proceeds from the tickets go towards an organization providing food to homeless people in Atlanta.

3.  “The Age of Dignity: Preparing for the Elder Boom in a Changing America” at Charis Books and More/Charis Circle: Tuesday, February 17 at 7:00pm

Visionary author and organizer Ai-Jen Poo tours to promote her book, “The Age of Dignity: Preparing for the Elder Boom in a Changing America.” She is a 2014 MacArthur “Genius” award winner for her advocacy work benefitting domestic workers’ rights. She will lead a discussion of her new book and the changes in culture and policy that are needed for people to age beautifully while maintaing their integrity.

4. “Phazes of Love: Concept Provocative” at Buckhead Theater: Sunday, February 15, 7:30pm

The theme of this year’s “Choreographers’ Extravaganza” is Concept Provocative. Featuring some of the nation’s most renowned choreographers and their dancers, the event is sure to make your Valentine’s Day week unique and memorable. Even better, proceeds from the tickets will benefit the Dare Dream Dance Project, an organization that enables young people in Atlanta to experience professional training in classical and contemporary dance.

Her Campus at Emory University