Crazy for Camouflage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Just as you think it’s impossible for an old trend to make a comeback, it does! That trend, of course, is our beloved camouflage. The saying “what goes around comes back around” not only works with karma, but also with fashion trends. The camouflage trend has made its way back into the street style scene. A lot like the leopard print trend, it has appeared in numerous reincarnations. Recently, most designers have taken the military camouflage trend to a whole new level. 

Camouflage print has an edgy and masculine look to it, so it’s better to balance it out with feminine pieces like lace, sequins, gold jewelry, pumps or pleats. If you’re one of the few that like the camouflage trend but are not quite ready to invest in a jacket or pants, start with a scarf or bag. The print has been adapted in luxe fur, sequin sweaters, athletic wear and casual kicks. It’s for girls and boys, women and men. Some versions have maintained more utilitarian roots, including vests and parkas at J. Crew and jeggings at Aeropostale. For spring, North Face has camo-inspired workout gear. It’s hitting everything, from sweaters to outerwear. It’s graphic and edgy, but it’s also completely neutral. That’s the beauty of it: it dresses up, it dresses down. It is as urban or as country as you want to make it.

Like the cheetah print that was, at one time, considered edgy and a little risqué, camo is now offered in everything from sweet ballet flats to toddler clothes. It retains its cool, especially when it’s worn with a wink. It’s wearing the print in a feminine fabric — a georgette blouse, perhaps — or something like a parka over slim cargo pants and a lacy tank top or high heels. It works extremely well with neutrals, for example, a version in makeup colors such as blush and beige, with a pop of navy or yellow. Adding the flash of color, the glitzy necklace, or the pencil skirt keeps camo from being too serious. For the guys, it’s about the camo sneaker with dark denim, or a jacket or hoodie over more tailored trousers. Camouflage evokes a lived-in look, so don’t be fussy or too polished! However, it shouldn’t be worn head-to-toe. The good news, though, is that you’ll be wearing those single pieces for a long time!

Her Campus at Emory University