The Collegiette’s Guide to Business Casual and Business Professional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Navigating how to dress in the business world can get pretty overwhelming from time to time. If you’ve ever found yourself wondering what exactly it means when a dress code says “business casual” or “business professional,” Her Campus Emory is here to help!

Business Casual

1. Do: Wear dress pants, dresses, and skirts. Just make sure your dresses and skirts fall to at least your knees or just above. Dark-colored bottoms or khakis work great!
  2. Don’t: Wear jeans, shorts, or leggings. No matter how nice or dressy they are, the safer bet is to go for something else.
  3. Do: Wear a dress shirt with an elegant pattern or print, if you want. Solid colors are always a good choice, but don’t be afraid to express yourself with your outfit, as long as the pattern and colors aren’t too in-your-face.
  4. Don’t: Wear sandals, sneakers, open-toed, or multi-colored shoes. Opt for solid-colored, close-toed heels or flats instead.

Business Professional

1. Do: Wear a dark-colored blazer. Blazers are a must for looking your most professional, and that’s what you should go for if the dress code is business professional.
  2. Don’t: Wear shirts with patterns or prints. Even if your print is very classy, it’s best to go with a solid-colored shirt. Opt for darker rather than bright colors.
  3. Do: Like business casual, wear dress pants, dresses, and skirts. Again, make sure the dresses and skirts fall to your knees or a tad higher.
  4. Don’t: Unlike business casual, avoid khaki pants and stick with dark colors.
  5. Do: Wear solid-colored, close-toed heels or flats.

Special thanks to my b-school friend, Nimaanee Narang, for helping me maneuver the intricacies of the business-dressing world!

Linguistics and Anthropology Major
Her Campus at Emory University