Choreographers of Persuasion, Dana Sokolowski & Izzy Holmes, ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

These two ladies actually don’t need an introduction, I’m sure you already know them! Meet the wonderful choreographers of Persuasion, Dana Sokolowski and Izzy Holmes, both class of ’15. I’m sure your jaw was on the ground after Persuasion performed at Best in Show (I know that’s all I saw when I walked off stage!). In addition to myself, Persuasion, Emory’s all-female hip-hop group consists of 10 amazing girls, ranging from freshman to seniors. Alongside their busy schedules, these two ladies somehow find the time to create memorable masterpieces that leave lasting impressions! Read up on their choreographic processes and find out their fav Beyoncé song!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): When did you join Persuasion?

Dana Sokolowski (DS): I joined fall semester of my freshman year.

Izzy Holmes (IH): I joined Persuasion my first semester of my freshman year.

HCE: Have you always loved Beyoncé or was it just a last semester thing? Also what’s your fav Beyoncé song?

DS: Oh, I have always loved Beyoncé, but our set last semester was just a one-time tribute. I love “Love On Top”, but “Naughty Girl” is classic.

IH: I have always loved Beyoncé, since her Destiny’s Child debut, because she is just fierce beyond belief. My favorite Beyoncé song is “Love On Top”.

HCE: Did you think people would be so enthusiastic about your performance?

DS: Haha, no! We performed the set a few times last semester and it never got the crowd reaction like it did at Best in Show. It was really great to see the new class so excited about dance.

IH: I had no idea people were going to be that enthusiastic. I think when the music started and I heard how loud and excited the crowd became, I may have actually opened my mouth and looked shocked on stage. I was just really grateful we had such an awesome audience.

HCE: How does it feel to be actual campus celebs?

DS: Funny, because Izzy and I are the biggest dorks.

IH: I would say being a campus celeb is pretty much unexplainable because I’m not exactly sure how I am a celeb. In other words it feels awesome.

HCE: Name something interesting about how you choreograph.

DS: I can get really caught in my head and go three hours without creating anything, but I’ve found the cure for that is to just listen to the song on replay and freestyle. Your body knows the movement better than you do!

IH: When I choreograph I always start by just going to the gym, warming up and then doing improv to my favorite songs of that moment for half an hour. After my crazy bust-a-move moment I then start my choreo. Improv makes me feel pumped and excited to choreograph for Persuasion as well as see new ideas in my dancing. I’m sure the rest of the people at the gym are just staring at that weird redhead girl who is going full out by herself in front of a mirror for 30 minutes but I can’t help it, it’s just too much fun!

Her Campus at Emory University