This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I used to hate turtlenecks. I thought they were stuffy, awkward, and too nerdy looking. When it was cold out, my mom would always suggest I wear a turtleneck, but I’d opt for a scarf with my regular sweater instead. What was the difference? Some time after many years of continuously hating on turtlenecks, I realized that I was missing out on a really cool and underrated piece of clothing. I am finally converted into a turtleneck lover, and I hope to convert all of you too. Here’s my case for why turtlenecks rock:

1.     Warmth

When the wind is whipping at your neck and nothing is covering it, you will be sad. Having your neck warm is v important for keeping your whole body warm. Turtlenecks get the job done. Your neck will thank you.

2.     Fewer Layers

Yeah, you could wear a scarf with a normal sweater…but who wants that extra layer? Turtlenecks are way more convenient, especially with limited time to get ready in the morning. Throw one on with a pair of jeans, and you’re all set. Plus they are comfy, which is a nice bonus.

3.     Fashionable

Turtlenecks look chic. Tighter fitting thin ones look great under a vest or a blazer, and looser ones can stand on their own. There’s a reason celebs and models are always wearing turtlenecks. They make you look grown up and put together and are also ideal for a professional setting.

4.     Drake

All my newfound thoughts about turtlenecks were validated when I saw Drake rocking one in his Hotline Bling music video. When the king of YOLO even knows turtlenecks are what’s up, I don’t think there’s anything left for me to say.

Her Campus at Emory University