Camille Nelson ’13 and Liz Carson ’14: Co-Chairs of Emory’s Camp Kesem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

How do you spend your summers? Frolicking on beaches, getting an occasional tan? Interning in an office with hopes of becoming a permanent employee? How about making a difference? Well these two wonderful ladies, Camille Nelson ’13 and Liz Carson ’14, certainly got that task under control as co-chairs of Emory’s chapter of Camp Kesem, a camp for children whose parents are affected by cancer. Coupled with fun-filled summers, these girls wish to make a difference in these kids’ lives in hopes that everyone takes something powerful away from his/her experience at Camp Kesem. Read up on our new Campus Celebrities!

Name: Liz Carson

Year: Junior

Major: Anthropology and Human Biology

Name: Camille Nelson

Year: Senior

Major: Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology (NBB)

Her Campus Emory (HCE): When was Camp Kesem founded?

Camille Nelson and Liz Carson (CN & LC): The organization was founded in 2001 at Stanford, and the Emory chapter was founded in 2007

HCE: How did you become involved in Camp Kesem? 

CN: In the beginning of my sophomore year, my friend Charlie Mitchell told me that CK was having an info session, and I went! They were accepting applications for coordinator positions, and I applied! I wanted to strongly commit to something that I felt would make a positive change in people’s lives that I could see.  CK is an outstanding organization, and I’m so proud to have been a part of the Emory chapter for the past two and a half years.

LC: The first week of my freshman year, I went to the Student Activities Fair on McDonough field. I got a lot of free stuff from organizations, but realized none of them really fit me. Camp Kesem was the last table I went to– I talked to the two co-chairs, signed up, and decided to go to the interest meeting. It’s been a huge part of my life ever since.

HCE: What kinds of activities happen during the camp?

CN: We’ve done ziplining, had a bowling night, made s’mores, sang silly camp songs, rock wall climbing, played outdoor sports (basketball, kickball, swimming, fishing, etc), and more! 

LC: We do a lot of typical camp activities: arts and crafts, swimming, archery, tie-dye, and campfires (complete with s’mores). We also have cabin chats every night, and an empowerment ceremony toward the end of the week. These activities are when campers really open up and share their experiences.

HCE: What are some of the best moments you’ve had with the campers? 

CN: My favorite moments are seeing campers open up to each other whether it’s one on one, with a counselor, or within a big group.  Last year, I heard two campers (age 8 or 9) asking each other if they knew what cancer was.  It was so cool to see that they were comfortable and felt safe to share their feelings and ask questions at Camp Kesem.

LC: It’s hard to pick the best, because almost every interaction with campers has such an incredible impact–whether they realize it or not. I can think of a few moments that have really stood out to me and tugged on my heartstrings. One day at camp two years ago, one of our seven year-old campers came up to me and said, “You know, Bojangles, every step we take is the future.” And she’s right.

Some of the other best moments I’ve had have been when campers have come up to me, asked to talk, and shared their story. Sometimes kids that have been acting out all week have really just been waiting for the right time and the right person to express what they’re feeling–whether it’s sadness, anger, or acceptance.

HCE: Are you guys having any events this semester at Emory? 

CN: Definitely! You can catch us at Wonderful Wednesday from time to time.  As Liz mentioned, we have our counselor application deadline coming up on Feb 6, at midnight.  We have Make the Magic (a brunch styled fundraiser that is open to students and the Atlanta community) on April 7th at the Hillel Center right next to Woodruff Residential Center! 

LC: We’re having several more events this semester! Counselor applications are due Wednesday, February 6 at midnight. Our annual Make the Magic fundraiser (a brunch and silent auction) will be on April 7, and we’ve also got a few other events tentatively in the works–but we wouldn’t want to give away ALL the fun just yet. ;)

Her Campus at Emory University