Building Your Life With the Law of Attraction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Dr. Ivan Young said it perfectly: That what you seek, that what you desire, is equally seeking you. One of America’s most renowned life coaches, Dr. Young is a certified master coach, an MBTI practitioner – in other words, a specialist who focuses on using personality types to help people attain their goals and visions – and a certified Neuro-Linguistic Programming practitioner. He uses his credentials to help people with either personal goals, such as developing healthy and lasting relationships, finding balance between tugging responsibilities, or discovering clarity, order and meaning in one’s life, or business goals, such as developing leadership or starting a business. What caught my eye about this coach was a TEDx talk he gave on emotional intelligence and its relation to the law of attraction, specifying that balancing and equating the two leads to passion, purpose and presence.

In recent weeks, I have become invested in the law of attraction. I started listening to Jess Lively on The Lively Show – a podcast I highly recommend –, who talks about the law of attraction by the teachings of Jerry and Esther Hicks. I started watching TED talks by psychologists, neurologists and physicists on various topics from cultivating happiness and confidence to neuroplasticity to quantum mechanics and its relation to law of attraction. I started reading the works of researchers, like Dr. Bréne Brown, who specialize in happiness, deduction of stress, self-worth and inner peace.

My goal through acquiring this knowledge is two-fold. First, I want to use it to find happiness, inner peace, purpose and meaning in my life as I recover from several eating disorders, depression and low self-worth, which I have been afflicted by for the past five years, if not my entire life. Second, I want to use it to help others find happiness, inner-peace and a way to slightly modify their perceptions of the world in order for them to literally design the life that they want. The way that we perceive our world, the internal frequency with which we vibrate with, is what shapes the world around us.

To avoid taking this article into a million different places, I want to focus solely on the rudiments of the law of attraction. In simplest terms, the law of attraction states that like attracts like. In more complex terms, our internal, vibrational frequency – the way that we resonate from inside out – attracts us to things – people, places, activities, etc. – of the same vibrational frequency. As my knowledge on this topic is in its fetal stages, I encourage you to listen to Jess Lively’s episode, Quantum Living Quick Guide #1: The Law of Attraction and the 3 Most Common Misconceptions, where she summarizes the vibrational frequency of the law of attraction in quantum mechanical terms very well.

Knowing that like attracts like, that common vibrational frequencies attract each other, what can we do with this information? How can we apply it to our own lives to enrich ourselves with happiness, inner peace, meaning and purpose?

I argue that we must actively seek to elevate our internal states in order to shape our perception of the world and attract that which we seek. We must shine from the inside out in order to see the brightness of the world. We must exhale peace and ease in order to evade the chaos and destruction that we perceive – yes, perceive! – in the world around us. We must emit joy in order to receive it back to us, in order to find it even in the darkest of moments, because when every cell in our body moves in tandem with each other, when our internal frequency is harmoniously synchronized, we can shape our world to be exactly what we want it to be.

Let me give you an example. Many people look to the law of attraction to find their significant other. The law of attraction goes much further than just applying to relationships; however, for the purpose of my argument, I will put it in this, common context.

Many people want to find their significant other and be in a happy, healthy, wholesome and long relationship that mimics that of the books and movies. In order for that type of relationship to surmise, one must vibrate the same assets that they want from a relationship – that happiness, health, and wholesomeness – from the inside out because like attracts like. That what you seek, that what you desire, is equally seeking you.

Oftentimes, many people jump into relationships because they are unhappy, because they are looking for someone to fill the void of lonesomeness, confusion, dissatisfaction, inner turmoil, anything negative that weighs on one’s life. Unsurprisingly, the majority of the relationships built upon filling a void end up failing, even if initially succeeding, and leaving one or both partners unhappy, constantly in conflict and, perhaps, even miserable.

Why does this happen? According to the law of attraction, people who vibrate at the same internal, emotional frequency, which, in this case, would be a low frequency of the aforementioned negatives, attract each other and try to build a relationship on the only things that they currently may have: lonesomeness, confusion, dissatisfaction, inner turmoil.

Indeed, there are times when both partners in a negative state help each other out of that state and go on to living long, happy and satisfying relationships; however, many times, these partnerships do not succeed. Something will always feel like it is missing. That happiness that one or both partners sought in the other, may not appear. That soil to fill the hole of whatever negative strife exists in one’s life, may not form; thereby, one is left exactly where he or she started: at square one, stuck in the same low-vibrational-frequency state that he or she started off in.

Although this is just one example of how the law of attraction works, there are many other examples on this law in play. It helps individuals find their passions and purposes, as they learn to follow what feels naturally good in the moment rather than what they think they should be doing or what they believe is necessary to do. It aids one in achieving goals and dreams by setting intentions towards achievement and then allowing every cell in the body to rinse in that intention daily. The law of attraction is the driving force of life – the only force that one must follow if he or she wants to live a happy, whole and peaceful life.

My gentle encouragement to anyone who reads this article is to do some research into the law of attraction. Check out the quantum mechanics component of it – the component that will put this law into scientific terms for you – or revel in the findings and teaching of Jerry and Esther Hicks and other specialists in the fields of consciousness, happiness and perception. Be the creator of your own unique world and watch as everything you ever dreamed of having, of being and of achieving assemble right in front of you.

Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.