Be A Savvy Traveler: Tips for Getting Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Have you ever thought how ironic it is that we live in such a sprawling metropolis, yet it is almost impossible to get off campus as a freshman? That being said, often times it can get pretty frustrating when you’re in the mood to go explore our wonderful city of Atlanta for a quick thrift-shopping trip around Little Five or a day at Lenox with your girls. No worries! I was once in your shoes and I have a few tips to help you struggling freshies (or anyone without access to a car)! 

Emory Shuttles

Emory offers weekend shuttles to Lenox Mall and Toco Hills. The Experience Shuttles are the best because they are shuttles that are funded by College Council and run on various Saturdays throughout the semester and go to places like Atlantic Station, the High Museum, and Six Flags. My favorite shuttle is the one that takes students to Centennial Park for ice-skating in December! The shuttles are great to grab some of your friends and get off campus even for just a few short hours. 

http://transportation.emory.edu/transportation/cliff/index.html#campus_routes

MARTA

Although this is often referred to as the “sketchy” option, the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, or MARTA as everyone calls it, is an easy and cheap way to travel around Atlanta. There are two bus lines that run straight through campus that can be used to get you around the city. It’s also a cheaper alternative to taking a taxi to and from the airport. If you are up for an adventure (preferably not too late at night!) this can be a cost-effective and convenient option. Tip: Have your route figured out beforehand so you don’t get stuck begging strangers for directions. My advice is to type in your destination into Google Maps and check out different ways to get there! 

http://www.itsmarta.com/default.aspx

Zipcar

Zipcar is a great service that allows students to rent a car by the hour, and even by the day. The cars are located all around campus, so the first thing you would need to do before driving off would be to create an account online and reserve the hours you want the car. After that, they mail you your ZipCar card that can unlock any of the cars on campus. Gas, insurance, and mileage are all included in the yearly fee you must pay, as well as the hourly rate to rent the car. 

https://members.zipcar.com/registration/#step

Upperclassmen

There’s a saying that goes, it’s all about who you know, and in this case that’s very true! Most of the upperclassmen you know will have cars. Cars = freedom. Why not ask one of them to spend a few hours with you and go to Publix or grab some Bruster’s ice cream? Offer to split the gas in return!  Upperclassmen are also a great way to learn more about Atlanta. They know the best places to eat, which tourist spots should be skipped, and other great tips you should know living in Atlanta. 

I hope these tips will help you break out of our little campus bubble and explore the amazing city of Atlanta! College is short–take advantage of your surroundings while you can!

Her Campus at Emory University