person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Angelina Piryani, President of Emory Photography Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Angelina Piryani, a senior in the College studying Biology and English. In addition to being President of Emory’s Photography Club, Angelina is also involved in the Association for Chronic Disease Awareness as Vice President, the Emory Global Health Ethics Club as Outreach Chair, and Emory’s I Will Listen program as President. Read on to learn more about Angelina and to see how you can get involved in Emory’s own Photography Club!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): How did you become involved in the Emory Photography Club?

Angelina Piryani (AP): I first became involved with the Emory Photography Club my junior year. Last year was actually my first year on Emory’s campus (I transferred for junior year) so I was looking into different clubs and organizations. I have always been interested in photography and joined the club first as a general body member. After a year of involvement, I was contacted about various openings in Emory Photography, and now I am the President!

HCE: What are the specific goals for the club over the next year?

AP: This year, we are working on re-establishing the Photography Club as an active program! As of right now we have three board members, and by the end of the fall semester we are looking to expand to a permanent executive board. If anyone’s interested in being part of it, please contact us!

HCE: How long have you been interested in photography?

AP: I’ve been interested in photography ever since I can remember. It’s probably my favorite hobby—playing with those disposable Kodak cameras was my favorite activity as a child. I mostly do photography when I’m at home and every year around fall I do senior pictures for my community, friends, and family. I also love playing around with different scenery and backgrounds, since living in Wisconsin is absolutely gorgeous!

HCE: What are some of the things you do in the Photography club?

AP: This year we are working to expand our exhibits and show cases. We hold periodic photo contests and trips to the art galas of Atlanta. Also, one of the biggest opportunities our members like to take advantage of is our dark room in the DUC.

HCE: What is your favorite thing about photography?

AP: Photography is what brings our memories to life and I really couldn’t imagine what my world would be like without it!

HCE: Why would you suggest students to get involved with the club?

AP: We’ve established a close-knit team and are always working to show off what talented individuals we have at Emory! In fact, with our many student clubs on campus, you could potentially be contacted to photograph their special events—and potentially be paid.

HCE: Is there any level of experience needed?

AP: Regardless of experience level, we encourage everyone to please come to our GBM’s or just reach out to us! You could reach me by email at apiryan@emory.edu,  or you could reach Liv Wang at liv.wang@emory.edu. You can also like our Facebook page and follow our instagram at @photoclubemory to get in touch and check our beautiful artwork various individuals have submitted. We also have a photography contest currently going on, so if you are interested, please contact and submit your work to Liv Wang (liv.wang@emory.edu) for your chance to get your work displayed in Cox Hall!

Campus Celebrity Editor Film Studies Major, Spanish Minor Emory University Class of 2017
Her Campus at Emory University