This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Most of us are used to walking around campus this time of year, feeling the leaves crunch beneath our feet, taking in the beautiful Atlanta weather, and maybe even treating ourselves to a pumpkin-spiced something from the Starbucks by the bookstore. But with everything going on in this COVID-filled world, and most of us not living on our beloved campus this semester, fall looks very different. As someone living at home, I can tell you firsthand that fall in the Northeast is not at all what fall at Emory is like. However, there are still many different ways to celebrate this colorful fall season—socially distant and mask-wearing friendly. Here’s a list of my favorite fall activities that you can try with your friends! 

https://media.giphy.com/media/jlraqCNnuvyfD0jUmr/giphy.gif

1. Go apple picking at a local orchard

A fall classic, you can never go wrong with apple picking and maybe even a 

photoshoot while you’re at it!

1. Go leaf-peeping

The gorgeous foliage this time of year is something you don’t want to miss. Grab a few 

friends and go hunting for the most vibrant fall colors.

1. Get lost in a corn maze

Corn mazes are the perfect fall activity to get out of the house and have some fun, getting 

lost and spending time with loved ones!

1. Carve a pumpkin masterpiece

Get creative and carve or even paint a pumpkin! This is always a family favorite and a perfect way to get ready for Halloween.

1. Have an apple pie bake-off

Put your baking skills to the test to see who has the best pie-baking skills! You could even use hand-picked apples and different recipes to see which one is the crowd-favorite.

1. Host a cozy bonfire

Get comfy and cozy around the warm fire for some friend and family bonding!

1. Have a picnic in a park

Enjoy the weather before it gets too cold! Bring a delicious meal or snacks to enjoy in your favorite park!

1. Start that book you’ve been telling yourself you’ll read

The fall season is the perfect time to pick up that book you’ve been wanting to read. Curl up by a fire or a light-filled window and enjoy!

1. Take lots and lots of Instagram-able pictures

The colors this time of year are perfect to spruce up your Instagram feed and a great 

activity to get out of the house with some friends! 

While fall this year might not be the same as the campus experience, there are still so many ways to celebrate this brisk autumn. Remember to stay safe and enjoy!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2SqfB2DPpEUNBhhS/giphy.gif

Ally Grubman is a current sophomore in Emory's College of Arts and Science with a major in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology and a minor in Jewish Studies. Ally loves dogs, sailing, skiing, and spending time with family and friends!
Madeleine McGuinness is a sophomore at Emory University majoring in Human Health. She is interested in all things concerning women’s health and well-being!