8 Tricks to…Dressing Taller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Growing up I was always “vertically challenged.” By the time I was 18, I had given up on my hopes of being 5’6” and began to embrace my 5’2” self.  At first it was difficult trying to pull off  “taller people” clothes as I always ended up looking boxy, childish and just downright unfashionable. The last thing I wanted was to be devoured by my clothes, so I came up with these tricks that I use every day.  I call it the petite girl’s bible to dressing taller.

1.     Go monochromatic! Wearing a single color from head to toe creates the illusion of height. When someone looks at you, the eye is distracted to look at you vertically giving the appearance of being taller.

2.     Try high rises. High-waisted shorts, maxi skirts, or pants –anything that comes up to the waist that lets you fake a longer lower body.

3.     Stick with tailored fits. Super slouchy or oversize clothing can overwhelm you. It is important to get it tailored so the fit can be just right.

4.     Try sleeveless or long-sleeve looks. This will help your arms appear longest.

5.     Match your tights to your shoes. This will give you that legs-for-days look.

6.     Rock nude heels! Make sure your shoes match your skin tone to elongate your legs.

7.     Ditch heavy handbags. You do not want to be that girl who is devoured by her handbag. Go with a smaller handbag or clutch instead. To lengthen our look, petite fashionistas should downsize our handbags.

8.     Wear a v-neck shirt or sweater. The v-neck gives an illusion of a longer torso.

Her Campus at Emory University