8 Reasons Every Girl Needs a Dog in Her Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you are as pet-obsessed as I am, living in an anti-animal dorm room is a little more lonely and a lot less furry than your ideal sleep and work space. To rephrase, a dog-less dorm room is absolutely, pawsitively, unbearable. Here are some reasons why bringing your pooch to college truly is a necessity.

1. They’re cute.  They’re fluffy.  They’re practically a decoration necessity.

2.  NO BOY DRAMA. Pressured to impress a human male? Please. A dog beats one such companion at every level and provides all the snuggles, kisses, and emotional affection without the pressure or judgement.

3.  A dog attracts the RIGHT kind of guy. If a man does enter your date book this semester, you can rest assured that he’s a keeper. I’ve never heard of a relationship with dog-loving man ending badly, if ending at all.

4. Freshman 15—HELLO? Not with a barking buddy to pull you away from your nighttime “Netflix and Chips—I mean, chill” sesh, and out to Lullwater to burn some cals.

5. Allowing dogs in dorms would actually be a perk for the admissions office. Just think of how many more people would apply to college if they knew they could board with their dog. Millions. And more applicants = more money for the school. CHA-CHING! Case closed—dogs!

6. There’s a reason why houses with “Beware of Dog” signs have fewer robberies than those without. Furr real. And, in the midst of mixers, darties, frat ragers, and mysterious uber drivers, your dog is your built-in security guard. Your loyal companion will go to any extent to keep you safe.

7. Forget Chem lab, Honors French, and PACE. A diploma is useless without real-world experience. A dog not only physically exhausts you, but forces you to multitask and care for another life besides your own. Thinking about having a kid one day? Let’s start with a dog!

8. All jokes aside, there are dogs in need of homes all across the country. Reported by the ASPCA, there are “approximately 3.9 MILLION” dogs entering shelters across the nation each year. Giving these animals any type of loving home that can be provided is vital to their survival.

Student journalist at Temple Univerisity with a love for health, humanity and story-telling. Check out my bylines on Philly.com, College Fashionista and The Temple News.
Her Campus at Emory University