8 Places to Explore in Atlanta This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The sun is getting hotter and the temperatures are rising. The time has never been better to get off campus and explore all of the outdoor attractions Atlanta has to offer. Whether you’re in the mood to lie around lazy, walk around, or catch some thrills, Atlanta has something for everybody.

1.     The Beltline

The Atlanta Beltline is a sustainable renovation project of a historic railroad that connects many neighborhoods in Atlanta. The Beltline consists of multi-use paths for walkers, runners, and bikers alike, and a system of public parks. It offers 22 miles of a walking path, 33 miles of multi-use trails, 1,300 acres of parks, and a forum for public wall art. The Beltline is also home to Krog Street Market and Ponce City Market, where you can reward yourself with delicious food after a day full of walking.

2.     Centennial Olympic Park

The Centennial Olympic Park was created for visitors in town for the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics, and is still enjoyed today. The Park hosts many public free events, including the Fourth of July Celebration, Music@Noon, the Wednesday WindDown concert series, and FIT Fridays. The Park also hosts festivals, fundraisers, and private events. Walk around or sit by the fountains and on the grass. While you are in the area, you can also check out some fun tourist stops like the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca-Cola, or the Skyview Ferris Wheel.

3.     Southern Food Walking Tour with Atlanta Food Walks

Walk around Downtown Atlanta and learn about the history of Southern food and culture. Taste some of Atlanta’s best food and learn fun facts about the samples. The tour takes you to 7 different restaurants with 15 delicious tastings, from soul food and barbecue to “Lowcountry cuisine” and Creole candy.

4.     Atlanta Braves at Turner Field

Go see a baseball game at Turner Field. Cheer on the Braves or your hometown team when they come to Atlanta. The Braves will play their final regular season game at Turner Field against the Detroit Tigers on October 2, 2016. Check out the stadium before they leave it for their new field, SunTrust Park.

5.     Six Flags Over Georgia

Six Flags Over Georgia is a 290-acre theme park located in Cobb County, Georgia, which is west of Atlanta. The park also includes Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Georgia, a 7-acre water park, and is partnered with Six Flags White Water Atlanta, a 69-acre water park in Marietta, Georgia. Grab your friends and enjoy the rides and attractions. Don’t forget to check out the delicious amusement park food while you’re there!

6.     Piedmont Park

Piedmont Park is a 189-acre urban park in Atlanta, between the Midtown and Virginia Highland neighborhoods. The park offers a forum for outdoor activities, sports, a lake for fishing, and many special events such as the Atlanta Pride Festival and Music Midtown. Visit Piedmont Park to participate in one of these activities or just to get some sun in a beautiful park located in the middle of a busy city.

7.     Atlanta Botanical Garden

The Atlanta Botanical Garden is a 30-acre botanical garden located in Midtown Atlanta. View the plant and flower conservation displays to learn more about botany and enjoy the beautiful scene.

8.     The Shops in Buckhead

Walk, shop (or window-shop), and dine at The Shops Buckhead Atlanta. The beautiful and new streets are filled with stores and fine dining—perfect for a sunny and classy afternoon.

Cayla is a freshman at Emory University studying English and Media Studies. Her hobbies include editing photos of food and going on long walks on the beach. She can usually be found re-organizing her room, promoting gender equality, or talking about her amazing taste in music. You can follow Cayla on her Instragram @caylabam. 
Her Campus at Emory University