5 Ways to Make Your Day More Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I think the majority of people, and especially college students, wonder how they can make their days more productive. All too often it feels as though the day flew by — as if time went too fast for us to accomplish what we wanted to accomplish. Fatigue also plays a huge role in feeling nproductive. Below are five detailed ways to make your day more productive.

1. Start your day early. While it’s tempting to sleep in, it’s important to get up at a decent time — and that time differs for everyone. Even if your classes don’t start until the afternoon, consider getting up earlier in the morning and catching up on homework, going for a run, or grabbing breakfast with friends. Humans run on a biological clock, and it can confuse our bodies if we sleep in way past sunrise. Also, rising early instills a sense of efficiency and drive for the day to come!

2. Either the night before — or as soon as you wake up — make a list for what you want to achieve in that particular day. While this may sound silly, it really works. Trust me. Being able to visualize the tasks you want to complete, as well as a time table for when to complete them, provides for a great feeling of satisfaction. Even if you’re unable to finish everything you want to by the end of the day, you can complete the unchecked items the following day.

1. Do something active. This does not have to be a five mile run — or even a workout class for that matter. Maybe it’s a walk in the park with friends, a peaceful yoga class, a tennis match, or a bike ride. Anything to get your feet moving and to spend a little time outside will make you feel rejuvenated in one way or another. Exercise also makes it easier to fall asleep at night.

3. Stay hydrated. We are all sick and tired of hearing this phrase from our parents, our doctors, and all figures in our lives. However, it does indeed stand true. Carry a water bottle around with you and try to finish the water bottle by lunch time — and refill it several times during the day. Hydration helps the digestive system and makes thinking more productive and thus helps you excel in your classes. Staying hydrated keeps you healthier and more lively. And who doesn’t want that?

4. Eat three meals a day. This may sound obvious, as well as potentially difficult as a college student with a full course load. But, it’s extraordinarily important — breakfast especially. Breakfast sets you up for the day, so try to eat something with protein that will fill you up until lunchtime. There’s no worse feeling than needing to snack constantly in order to get through the day. Balanced meals will prevent this. If you eat three meals a day, your body will be prepared to attack the day and face any tasks you may encounter.

This list may seem apparent, but so many of us lose sight of these things in college.  Even if you can’t do everything, it’s important to do some of them – it all makes a difference. 

Sophomore at Emory studying business
Her Campus at Emory University