3 Nearby Road Trips You Need to Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Atlanta is a city with so much to offer—from Ponce City Market to Piedmont Park, and the hundreds of insanely delicious local restaurants that lie in between, there is no shortage of fun and adventure to be found on any given day within ATL’s city limits. You could try something new every weekend and never run out of things to do in the city—everything you could possibly need or want is within a 30-minute drive of Emory’s campus.

There’s no reason to ever leave, but if you didn’t, you would miss out on a historic Southern city revitalized by technology, the chance to walk over a suspension bridge hanging over a series of 6 waterfalls, and a walk down the beach where Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth first fell in love, on and off screen. The best part? They’re all within 4 hours of ATL—the perfect distance for a weekend trip. If you’re ready to see more of what’s outside ATL, and you’ve already checked out our first set of road trip suggestions, check out these three new adventures!  

1. Chattanooga, Tennessee

At 117 miles and 1 hour 45 minutes away, a trip from Atlanta to Chattanooga is definitely doable in one day. Chattanooga is worth the drive for the scenery alone—the artsy downtown district has stunning views of the Tennessee river, and Lookout Mountain boasts one of the most stunning views in all of the Southeast. However, its Chattanooga’s unique blend of history—check out the Chattanooga Choo Choo!—and modern, techie start up culture—the city  boasts city-wide internet speeds 200x faster than the national average—that will leave you eager to come back again and again.

2. Tallulah Falls

92 miles northeast of Atlanta, this hidden gem is absolutely stunning. Tallulah Gorge State Park is home to an ancient gorge filled with a series of water falls that will leave you breathless. With easy, short hiking trails to viewing points and 10-mile strenuous day hikes that weave in and out of the gorge, the state park has a little something for everyone.  Your Instagram feed will definitely thank you for visiting—just search Google images if you’re not convinced.

3. Tybee Island

If you’re a big fan of pop culture or just love hanging out by the beach, this one’s for you. The Last Song starring Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth was filmed in Tybee Island, and it’s easy to see why the costars fell in love off-screen, too. The barrier island’s big sandy beaches, historic lighthouses, and local eateries ooze romance and charm. At a little under four hours away from Atlanta, this one is best saved for a weekend trip. No worries—the Island has a ton of affordable housing, especially during off season—and once you get there, you’ll never want to leave anyway.

Small town girl living in the city
Her Campus at Emory University