16 Things Every Girl Should Have In Her Purse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Women’s bags are big for a reason, and it’s because we like to carry an unhealthy amount of things around with us at all times. I’m the first to admit that I’ve unearthed the strangest things from the depths of my bag (where did I even get batteries?!) and could use a lesson or two on hoarding. However, there are some things that you should always, always have on you, and here they are:

Cell phone: Because we’d all die without our phone. But seriously. I’m all for taking a break from technology, but generally it’s a good idea to keep your phone on you. You never know who’s going to need to reach you in an emergency and it comes in handy when you’re alone and trying really hard not to look awkward and out of place. Thank God for Instagram.

Lips: Every girl should have a signature lip color, and you should always have it on you. You never know when you’re going to need to transfer a look from day to night, and a pop of lipstick can be just what you need to update your outfit. Additionally, you should always carry a Chapstick or lip balm with you. No one likes chapped lips!

Tissues: Whether it’s to blow your nose or to wipe something off your hands, there’s nothing worse than being stuck without anything to clean yourself with. Trust me.

Pen: Because everyone needs to write something down at some point, and you don’t want to be the one scrambling around asking everyone else if they have one.

Headphones: Whether you’re an earphones or a headphones kind of girl, music is always the way to go. You don’t want to be stuck on a long commute without your tunes, and you definitely don’t want to be the asshole who listens to their music out loud in public.

Medicine: Advil, tampons, tums, anti-allergy meds, cough drops, the works. Emergencies are never fun.

Water: it’s important to hydrate! We all know that drinking water is imperative to stay healthy, so carrying water around with you at all times is important. To inspire yourself to actually drink the water, get a nice water bottle that you want to show off.

Snack: Being hangry is not fun.

Gum/Mints: Chances are sooner or later you’re going to run into that cute guy right after eating lunch at Chipotle. Trust me, you’re going to want to pop a mint so you’re not constantly covering your mouth with your hand. Not cute.

Sunglasses: I’ve always felt that a great pair of sunglasses completely pulls an outfit together, so having a pair on you at all times just seems like the way to go. Plus, no one really wants the blinding sun in their eyes anyway, so it’s a win-win.

Clear nail polish: A life-savor both when your polish chips and when you pull a run in your stockings. Just dab a bit on the edges of the rip and it’ll stop it from spreading.

Nail file: I know people like to make fun of “breaking a nail,” but I’ve been there and it is not fun. Always keep a nail file on hand to take care of it quickly and prevent further tearing.

Wallet: We’re all adults, and it’s time to have a grown-up wallet. That means one that can fit your money and has enough room for all of your cards and is classy.

Band aids: If you’re like me and don’t necessarily buy your shoes based on comfort, you’re always going to want a stack of band aids on hand. I like to always have at least three – two for the back of my heels and an extra just in case.

Hand sanitizer: Because germs.

Hair tie: Hair is great, but it can be a real nuisance at times, whether it’s too hot on your neck or getting in your food. Always have a hair tie on hand so you can throw it back when you need to. 

Admittedly it might take an extra minute or so to throw all your things together, but I promise you it’ll be worth it when you’re never scrambling for a tissue or a breath mint and come up empty handed!

Her Campus at Emory University