Why I Love Working At A Florist Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s my junior year of college and I have been searching for internships for over a year and for a while I haven’t been lucky. I’m a Communication major, so it was difficult finding an internship that sparked my interest. A few months ago, though, I stumbled across a social media internship for a local florist and I applied for it. I have never worked at a florist shop before nor have I ever had interest in it, but it was something different and that is what intrigued me. 

It has been a couple of months since I started working at the flower shop. I have to tell you, this has been my favorite job ever. I was a little nervous to start it since I have no knowledge in floristry. I soon started to learn a lot.

One thing I love about being a social media intern for a florist shop is that I can be very creative. I had never taken promotional pictures of flowers before so this was new to me. I had no idea how creative I could be with flowers. I have made some trendy TikTok videos showcasing the flowers and the flower shop as well as beautiful Instagram pictures highlighting the flowers. 

Working at a flower shop has made me admire how floral arrangements are made. Each floral arrangement and flower bouquet is made with so much time and detail, it’s crazy. Each floral arrangement is created with an array of roses and other flowers, like baby’s breath. Each flower has a specific spot where it is placed in the arrangement. If the flower is put in the wrong spot it changes the whole look floral arrangement. 

I am hoping one day after my social media internship ends I will be able to make my own floral arrangements. I had no idea that applying for this internship would spark my interest in floristry, but I am so glad it did.

Madeleine Graves-Witherell is a sophomore studying Communications and Media Studies. She recently has worked with multiple social media platforms, specifically Instagram and TikTok in marketing means. Madeleine is an activist for women's rights and social change. When she is not writing, she is listening to Vance Joy on repeat or reciting The Office quotes.