Top 5 Reasons to Become an Orientation Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Are you an enthusiastic student leader who bleeds blue and gold, isn’t afraid to get loud, knows how to have a good time, and wants to make a lasting, positive impact in the Emmanuel community? Then I’m sure you’re already interested in applying to be an Orientation Leader. Still not convinced? Read on for the top five reasons why you should be an OL!

1. The Ability to Share Your Experience and Knowledge with Incoming Students

As a seasoned Emmanuel student, you know the quietest study spots on campus, the professors with the best research opportunities, and the best places to get a bite to eat or go shopping – all vital knowledge for anyone new to the city who wants to have a successful career at Emmanuel. College life is stressful, and you can have the chance to be that person who made someone else’s experience a little easier.

2. The Opportunity to Make Connections

Campus is always bustling during the academic year, and it does not let up during the summer either! The quad is packed, the classrooms are full, and the café is always echoing with the EC Beat and the laughter of Emmanuel first-year students; it’s impossible not to meet people at Orientation! You’ll be constantly connecting with new students, your fellow Orientation Leaders, Emmanuel faculty members, and even official members of the Emmanuel administration.

3. Boost Your Communication Skills

The role of an Orientation Leader completely revolves around active communication. Maintaining a positive energy when interacting with your fellow Orientation Leaders, members of the Emmanuel College staff, and incoming students will help you form relationships with each of them. This will ensure that your paths of communication are open and your methods of communication are as sharp as they should be.

4. It’s a Gateway into the Emmanuel Community

Orientations Leaders hold a lot of influence in the Emmanuel community, and are often very involved both on and off campus. OLs become well known by the current Emmanuel students and work directly with the incoming class, forming a stronger connection to the college and its community as a whole. Becoming an Orientation Leader is a sure-fire way to make an impact in the Emmanuel student body that can open up a lot of doors for you in the future. Remember all those students we promised you’d meet? Well, they are your gateway into getting involved and connected to Emmanuel in ways you wouldn’t even imagine.

5. Make a Difference in a New Student’s Transition

Did someone help ease your transition into college life? If so, then you know how helpful and powerful it is when someone reaches out to you, so be that person for a new student! Was your college transition hard because no one made an effort to connect with you? Take it upon yourself to be the person that makes a difference in the life of a struggling student! You truly can make a difference in the lives of incoming students. The first six weeks at a new school are the most difficult for incoming students, and we want to do anything we can to make to make them easier. Orientation is the first step towards meeting that goal.

Take on the challenge of becoming the face of EC and helping new students discover their love for Emmanuel! Applications are due October 30 at 4pm in the lower level of St. Ann’s, office G03.

If you didn’t get a chance to attend one of the mandatory info sessions, email Nick Courtois (courtoisn@emmanuel.edu) or Ashly Uss (ussa@emmanuel.edu) to set up a meeting to get some details about the position.

We look forward to seeing your application to be a part of our awesome team this year!

I am a sophomore at Emmanuel College, majoring in English Writing and Lit, and Global Health.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.