Small Changes to Make if You’re Looking for a Fresh Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

​College is a great place for self-reflection and growth. Are you doing well with your goals? Generally, do you feel like you have your s*** together? Or do you sometimes feel like you need a reset? Fortunately, if you’re looking for a fresh start, there are simple ways to give yourself one without having to take extravagant measures. These baby steps can give you a clearer mind and can get the ball rolling for tackling bigger goals!

1.) Do a social media purge.

Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels

Once you’re in college, your social media becomes a weird mix of old and new. It can be great to keep up with acquaintances from your past while also getting to know new people better.  That being said, there are probably a few instances where you’ve scrolled through your feed and asked yourself, “why am I still following some of these people?” Whether it’s that girl that was rude to you in high school, someone you had class with who continuously recruits you for a pyramid scheme, or your ex’s friends, realize that you’re under no obligation to continue following them. Set aside some time to go through your social media friends and weed out anyone you don’t enjoy following. Another great step is to go through your Pinterest saves and Instagram pictures and delete ones that no longer feel relevant to you as well.

2.) And while you’re at it, take a look at your apps, photos and texts, too.

Many people, including myself, are 100% guilty of letting apps accumulate on their phone without deleting them after they’ve served their purpose. This could be anything from an old editing app you used years ago, or something a professor made you download for class. Take time to go through your phone and delete apps you no longer use, and while you’re at it, delete old, useless messages and pictures. So often we’re guilty of having multiples of the same picture, old memes and, a billion screenshots, so your phone will thank you for cutting down on some of them. Clearing out your old junk will give your phone a fresh start and make it less overcrowded-looking while you’re using it.

Image courtesy of Self Story

3.) Get rid of some clothes!

Photo by Artem Bali from Pexels

Maybe some pieces in your wardrobe are no longer your style or fit, or they’ve been through the wash one too many times. For the sake of your closet, and your sanity, while picking out clothes each morning, try to clear your closet of clothing you either can’t or don’t wear anymore. Things that aren’t in good condition should be thrown away, and items that no longer fit or you no longer like should be donated or sold to a consignment shop! Getting rid of some clothing will definitely give you more space for new outfits and is a quick way to update your wardrobe.

4.) Super clean your school-year living space.

If you live in a dorm you can maybe get away with leaving your room at home looking like an episode of Hoarders, but try to make your living and studying environment (whether you commute or live on-campus) comfortable, relaxing and healthy. The best start to achieving this is to deep clean your room! Wiping things down, vacuuming, cleaning your sheets, and organizing your belongings can go a long way in making your room the perfect place both to work and unwind.

5.) Write down your goals and create a visual way to track them!

Photo by Plush Design Studio from Pexels

Part of a fresh start is gaining an awareness of the goals and priorities that define this new year for you. Chances are, you have already been considering some goals since last New Years or the beginning of the semester, and the challenge is developing the habits needed to follow them. A way to hold your ambitions accountable  is to create a visual tracker for your goals. This can be something you write in a journal/bullet journal, a chart, or some sort of sheet you can hang up on your wall. In fact, just writing down your goals makes you more likely to follow through with them! It’s also helpful to mark what days, either on a calendar or a chart, you complete  your goals so you have a visual of how well you’re doing with them!

6.) Those things you’ve been meaning to say… just spit them out already!

No one enjoys having difficult conversations, but it’s always a good idea to take time to get your thoughts out or clear the air with others. Whether it’s confronting someone toxic in your life, telling your crush how you feel, or reaching out to someone you had a falling out with, don’t be afraid to speak your mind and turn the page to the next chapter of your relationships with them.

Although these are just some first steps in resetting your everyday life, we hope they help lead you to a fresh start and serve as a starting point for even bigger goals!

Victoria Harding is a senior at Emmanuel College majoring in communications with a minor in management. She is a fourth year Her Campus at Emmanuel member, and is thrilled to be HCE's President this year! Victoria is also a Resident Assistant, member of Emmanuel College's 1804 Society, a residence hall desk assistant, and intern at MEDIAGIRLS. Follow her on Twitter @VictoriaRose_29 and Instagram @victoriahardingg.
Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!