Six Takeaways from Sophomore Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Sophomore year is arguably the most unglamorous, fade-into-the-background year of one’s college career, in terms of the more obvious milestones. Yet, as I approach the end of my second year of college, I can’t help but feel that it was a pivotal one. Here are some of the biggest things I learned this past year that have me thinking that sophomore year is more than it appears to be.

1. You don’t have as much time left as you think.

At the end of my sophomore year of high school, I distinctly remember thinking that I had loads of time left. In the blink of an eye, I was walking across the stage to get my diploma. You can also think about it this way: the people who were juniors when you were a freshman are essentially halfway through their college career, and halfway through yours, they’ll be wrapping things up. So it won’t be long before you’re getting your cap and gown.

1. Caution can become the enemy.

Everyone is terrified of failing, but that shouldn’t make it so that opportunities are passing you by because you fear pursuing them. You only have a finite amount of time to make something of your college career. Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try out for the musical. Often you have to get out of your own head and jump into something that appeals to you, unless it’s hard drugs.

1. Not everyone will be your biggest fan.

Sometimes you will opt to follow your dreams. Not everyone will be pleased with the finished product, but critics aren’t people you really want to keep close anyway. If anything, a negative response to what you’re doing should just reaffirm that you have an audience, which is pretty cool!

1. Learning doesn’t always happen in the classroom.

Textbooks have nothing on real life. And yes, while it may be cheesy, the world really is your classroom. A 4.0 GPA shouldn’t be your only goal. Make an effort to learn something everyday that isn’t limited to helping you pass a test.

1. It’s possible to badly want something that isn’t good for you.

This is pretty self-explanatory. Cut ties with people who make you feel alone even when they’re around.

1. Time is the best thing you can give.

Whether you’re actually volunteering somewhere or just listening to your friend talk about something important, not everything is about boosting your resume anymore. If you feel like you have nothing else to give, remember that your time means a lot to other people.

Now let’s see what junior year brings!

Emily is a senior *gulps* at Emmanuel College with a great passion for psychology, writing, and theatre. She loves animals, movies, museums, and smiling. Bukowski is her favorite poet, and she identifies with Tina Belcher on a very strong spiritual level. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.