This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you have a habit of prioritizing anything above your own well-being. I typically have the habit of taking care of myself at the bottom of my list because I feel as though it takes too much time away from absolutely every last thing I should be doing. This is so not okay and you should always prioritize your own well-being because how can you get anything done the best you can if you aren’t at your best. I, unfortunately, had a panic attack at an event I was so excited to run the other night because I was so low on taking care of myself and felt as though I had to put my best self forward even though I should have honestly taken the whole night in instead of trying to push through… yeah we can see how that worked out. Anyways, without any more rambling here is what I have been trying to do to take better care of myself throughout the busy week!

A long shower

This one sounds so silly, I know. But, truly taking the time out of the day to unapologetically exist in the shower (without your phone) and just be one with yourself is so underappreciated. I always take this time to metaphorically wash the day off of me and wash away whatever stress or negativity that has been experienced that day.

Journal

I love to free-write whatever comes to my mind and have no expectations of what I want to say. I’m always very surprised by what comes out and I realize that most of the time it’s something that I have been needing to get off my chest for a while. If you’re worried about timing you can always set a timer for 15 minutes and then stop when the timer rings so you got the care of listening to your mind before going about the rest of your day.

Make a playlist

I adore making playlists and mine range from a multitude of feelings (mad at being treated poorly, whatever city or town I’m in, concerts I’m going to, the overall vibe of just what I want to hear, etc.), and these playlists are cathartic to make. If you’re in an upset mood then you can get the feelings out through someone else’s words if writing isn’t your jam. And then, of course, after making the playlist, absolutely take the time to listen to it.

Making tea and watching something

Making yourself something comforting and warm like tea or hot cocoa will help you to just feel so warm and fuzzy inside. It is always something that makes me physically comforted so I mentally trick myself into feeling that way too. This along with taking breaks and watching a show or movie is always a good move and one that is never appreciated enough. 

Just lay in bed

If you can just get into bed and lay down and exist before you want to sleep. Don’t do this when it’s super late and you need to get to bed soon with a time frame. Do this when you have the 20 minutes to just be in bed with a book, try not to go on your phone, or something like a book. Maybe even just laying in bed and being with your mind will be what you need.

Now, I know that self-care lists are written a lot and seem more challenging than what you are willing to do. However, they are important and these are just some small things that I believe can benefit you in the long run that doesn’t take long at all if you feel you don’t have the time to take care of yourself. Remember, you always can make time and it is more important to make this time than to push yourself to your absolute limit.

Alyssa Martin

Emmanuel '22

Alyssa is currently a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in English Secondary Education. You can find her writing poetry, doing yoga, or binging one of her comfort shows.