This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I’ve been listening to SO much music lately, and even more so since covid hit. Music has always been my number one healer in any situation. It simply brings so many different emotions, and I thought why not make a self care playlist? So without further ado, here are my top ten self care songs in a very particular order.

“Golden” – Harry Styles 

This song naturally had to be first on the list because it is such an amazing opening to his album, so it becomes an amazing opening to this playlist. The music behind the lyrics is so upbeat that even though the lyrics may take your mind to a different, more thoughtful place, the music is bound to get you up and dancing.

Favorite lyric: “I know you were way too bright for me / I’m hopeless, broken / So you just wait for me in the sky”

“Be Kind” – Marshmello & Halsey 

This is another song that is impossible not to dance to (I think you can see a common theme going here). This one just makes my insides feel happy and I love screaming it in my car, room, or basically anywhere I can. 

Favorite lyric: “I know you’re chokin’ on your fears / Already told you I’m right here / I will stay by your side every night”

“Corduroy Dreams” – Rex Orange County 

This one is a little less jump and scream dancy. I want to just simply flow to it and really transport myself into a different universe. It’s very much a story telling type of song and brings you somewhere else so if you need to escape for a minute this is the song.

Favorite Lyric: “See I’m a f***ing basket case / Until I’m able to see your face / You saved me from myself”

“Guts” – All Time Low 

This band is one of my personal favorites, so naturally I had to include them. This is such an uplifting song through and through and really just makes anyone feel empowered.

Favorite Lyric: “Tapping my fingers / To the rhythm of a metronome / Counting opportunities”

“Minimal” – Role Model 

Okay so this is a very different vibe then the last one. The lyrics are so helpful in realizing that you’re not alone in what you’re feeling at your lowest moment. It’s a song you can sit under pretty lights and just enjoy yourself to.

Favorite Lyric: “Don’t say you miss me, I miss you too”

“How Do You Feel?” – The Maine 

This message is very similar to the last one, but it is a lot more uplifting. To me, at least, it feels like the band’s talking directly to me. It surprises you and really makes you think while you’re dancing to it.

Favorite Lyric (this one’s hard I think every lyric is a gem): “You are alive, but are you living? / Give me your voice and I’ll give it a listen / Are you complete or is something missing?”

“Clean” – Taylor Swift 

Okay, what’s a self care playlist without Taylor Swift? We all saw this one coming. I feel like this song just belongs here needing no explanation at all, it’s a beautiful song that makes you just feel like you can finally let go of what is holding you back and can live freely.

Favorite Lyric: “Rain came pouring down when I was drowning / That’s when I could finally breathe”

“Happy” – Julia Michaels 

This song is a full on banger. It lets go of every angsty emotion you can be feeling and just makes you want to scream along and jump to every second of it. The perfect form of self care.

Favorite Lyric: “And sometimes I think I kill relationships for art / I start up all this s**t to watch ’em fall apart”

“A Letter To My Younger Self” – Quinn XCII feat. Logic

This one simply makes me feel nostalgic and actually got me creating an inner monologue to my younger self. It makes you feel proud of where you have been compared to where you are now and helps you feel at peace with your own personal journey.

Favorite Lyric: “We’ll smile in front of all the things we used to worry about / And I know it may not seem like it, but we figured out / How to live on the run when your heart weighs a ton”

“god is a woman” – Ariana Grande 

So I absolutely had to end with this song—talk about female empowerment. This makes me feel even prouder than I already am about being a woman. It helps to embrace my femininity and feel like the badass woman I’m supposed to be.

Favorite Lyric: “When you try to come for me, I keep on flourishing / And he see the universe when I’m the company”

And there you have it! A wide range of self care music to help you get through any day you may need a little uplifting, a minute to scream, or just a minute to sit and feel the music. I created the playlist so you don’t have to and here’s the link! Happy listening!

Alyssa Martin

Emmanuel '22

Alyssa is currently a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in English Secondary Education. You can find her writing poetry, doing yoga, or binging one of her comfort shows.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.